Tangent 500 Crossover

From what I can find the Herest ll would seem to be the network used. Killer price just buy them and draw it out when you get them home and open. They should sound really good. Please let us know, I am thinking about doing this with a set of Heresy. Best regards Moray James.

post-46582-13819639042902_thumb.jpg

Tangent 400 and 500 both use HII crossover. The 400 is ported and the 500 uses a passive. It makes it a Heresy II with bass. The biggest problem is the cabinet construction. They aren't as solid as the HII cabs and you may need to reglue some joints.

Bruce

Maybe a dumb question.I'm trying to figure out some of this crossover stuff.

What does the 68uF cap do in the woofer line do? I don't see it in some other crossovers.

High/Low pass? would changing this change the 700Hz crossover piont?

As I understand it, capacitors are high pass only. At 8 ohms, 68 uF would allow frequencies above 282Hz through, and at 4 ohms, the frequency would be 584 Hz. To do a low pass filter you need to look at inductors. A 1.8mH inductor would be about 700 Hz at 8 ohms.

If I screwed this up, please somebody chime in. I am learing this too...

The easiest way to look at it is if you use just an inductor, it would be a shallow slope crossover of 6db per octive electrical crossover. Modifying the inductor value and adding particular capacitor values will increase the electrical slope to 12db per octave. You can change those two values plus or minus to modify where the knee of the curve is, Q, the electrical/physical slope, and other parameters in the speaker.

I was looking at the different crossovers for the heresyI and heresyII and saw different values in the woofer circuit.

Are the circuits different do to the different woofers? 4ohm vs. 8ohm? what happens if you put a k-24-k with an E-2 crossover? Crossover hz change?

I should find a good beginer crossover book to read.. Any suggestions?