Klipschornoob

-Gil-

Gil,

One option would be to build a Cornscala, La Scala or Belle. The construction is super simple, the plans are available and the parts are easily obtained on the bay or Audiogon. That way you will not have to buy two to get one. If you are even remotely able to work with wood the build is easy, if you have access to Baltic Birch and a table saw. Perhaps if you do not have the skills or tools, a woodshop may be close to you or possibly a friend that can work with wood. Either way it would probably be the most cost effective route for your particular situation. You would also be able to finish it in a vaneer that would match the K Horns.

I lived and worked in Paris for two years in the 80's so I know how difficult some things are as compared to the availability to things here in the states. I never could get used to eating sooooooo damn late. Hell, the resturants did not even open until after 8:00 PM. The long lunches were nice at 2:30 to 4:00 PM.....! The work schedule really took some getting used to.......also allowing animals into the eating establishments...do they still do that? It was truly an experience that I cherished and everyone should have the opportunity to see how people in other counties live.

W. C.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gil,

One option would be to build a Cornscala, La Scala or Belle. The construction is super simple, the plans are available and the parts are easily obtained on the bay or Audiogon. That way you will not have to buy two to get one. If you are even remotely able to work with wood the build is easy, if you have access to Baltic Birch and a table saw. Perhaps if you do not have the skills or tools, a woodshop may be close to you or possibly a friend that can work with wood. Either way it would probably be the most cost effective route for your particular situation. You would also be able to finish it in a vaneer that would match the K Horns.

I lived and worked in Paris for two years in the 80's so I know how difficult some things are as compared to the availability to things here in the states. I never could get used to eating sooooooo *** late. Hell, the resturants did not even open until after 8:00 PM. The long lunches were nice at 2:30 to 4:00 PM.....! The work schedule really took some getting used to.......also allowing animals into the eating establishments...do they still do that? It was truly an experience that I cherished and everyone should have the opportunity to see how people in other counties live.

W. C.

Yes, a lot of restaurants still accept your animals, but you can't smoke no more in them...

Gil,

I lived and worked in Paris for two years in the 80's so I know how difficult some things are as compared to the availability to things here in the states. I never could get used to eating sooooooo *** late. Hell, the resturants did not even open until after 8:00 PM. The long lunches were nice at 2:30 to 4:00 PM.....! The work schedule really took some getting used to.......also allowing animals into the eating establishments...do they still do that? It was truly an experience that I cherished and everyone should have the opportunity to see how people in other counties live.

W. C.

Yes, a lot of restaurants still accept your animals, but you can't smoke no more in them...

But can the animals smoke in them? [:D]

Gil,

W. C.

But can the animals smoke in them? Big Smile

Sure, but only salmons & ducks, lol...

Hello guys,

I know I will have to go to listen them, but what would be your choice to match beter with the Khorns ?Posted Image

H3 700 or Posted Image

H1 500 ? Also I have no news yet concerning serial numbers...

What do you think of the H1 ? is it original ? seems the feet & grills a bit strange for H1 ?

What do you think about that ?

Thank you very much & have a nice week-end

Hello guys,
I know I will have to go to listen them, but what would be your choice to match beter with the Khorns

The voids under the ones on legs might cut your bass. PWK warned against that sort of thing. It's possible an apron made of nicely stained hardwood veneered plywood hiding the legs might help a little bit. If you are going to use a THX like roll off below 80 Hz and send the deep bass to a sub, it might not be a problem.

If the H1s are in good condition, and not modified, they should have tweeters and midrange drivers (but not mid horns, naturally) identical to the ones in the Khorn, so you might get a good timbre match. O.K. they may only be nearly identical, depending on the year. The crossovers ("balancing networks," in Klipsch lingo) probably would need their caps replaced, or perhaps should be replaced outright. I don't know if Klipsch has relacement networks, but I'll bet Bob Crites (BEC on this forum) does. Email him. He could discuss pros and cons of different kinds of replacement networks. There was a wedge shaped stand under some H1s, causing the speaker to lean back and aim higher (from the floor), but I think the stands covered almost all -- or all -- of the space under the H1s, RE: the cavity caution noted above. Even though I have H2s as surrounds, all in all I think I'd go with the H1s with new networks.

Thanks Gary,

Serial for the H1 is HD-BR 54 50 24

I have found the easy :

Heresy "decorator" with flush motor board and no grill . What is flush motor board ?

Birch Raw

After that I'm stuck... 54 ? 50 ? 24?

Maybe the owner gave me wrong things ?

Thanks Gary,
Serial for the H1 is HD-BR 54 50 24
I have found the easy :
Heresy "decorator" with flush motor board and no grill . What is flush motor board ?
Birch Raw

After that I'm stuck... 54 ? 50 ? 24?
Maybe the owner gave me wrong things ?

I think a flush motor board refers to a speaker box with the board the speakers are mounted on not being indented to allow for grille cloth on a frame to fit within the front edges of the box, but having that board even with the frontmost plane of the box, i.e. "flush." I've seen a lot of H1s like that, usually intended for built-in installations behind a wall fabric, or just out in the room without grille cloth. Some people think speakers without grille cloth sound better. I think that the grille cloth acts as a helpful barrier to prevent pets, family and guests from wrecking the speakers.

Somewhere on the forum there is a list of serial numbers for some Klipsch speakers that matches them uo to the year and other characteristics. Type key words into the search box .... someone will probably post the answer to your question.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gil-

They look good.

What does the wall to the left (counter-clockwise) look like? If it's longer than the wall in the photo, can you leave the left speaker where it is, move the right speaker to the left corner of the longer wall and put the center speaker between them?

That's a long way of saying that, in my experience, Khorns work better on the longer wall of a rectangle than the shorter wall. You'd get a larger sweet spot that's farther back from the speakers.

No worries, would have been a good idea...

It's the only "good" place I have found for the Khorns, the sound is not bad at all and will be improved with carpets, tables, curtains & all the stuff I don't have for the moment... Also maybe I'll do some kind of false corner for the right Khorn, something like PrestonTom did would be nice, I'll think about that...

Gil

No worries, would have been a good idea...

It's the only "good" place I have found for the Khorns, the sound is not bad at all and will be improved with carpets, tables, curtains & all the stuff I don't have for the moment... Also maybe I'll do some kind of false corner for the right Khorn, something like PrestonTom did would be nice, I'll think about that...

Gil

Another, more radical, way to go would be to extend that right hand wall (by the door) out another 17" or so, to bring you up to the recommended 4 feet for a Khorn corner, false or real (the usual Khorn is about 31" along the side wall, including the horn mouth, and needs about 17" more wall). It would form a mini hall to the kitchen. You could load it with wall studs to make it very firm, and screw the first stud into the existing end stud good and tight. I've heard this might provide better bass, as well as better response at somewhere near 125 Hz (high bass) to 250 Hz (an octave higher).

EDIT: Oh, now I see you might need a few inches more than 17, because the existing right wall ends before it gets to the front of the Khorn. If you always watch the screen from the front, a longer wall might keep a little more light from the dining room from falling on your screen. If you sometimes watch from the dining room table, though, the new wall might be in the way.