marantz 2230 vs newer marantz? which is more musical?

quadklipsh

Everything listed below is my signature. It should be visible to anyone reading this post. But, just ffs, I have a Marantz 2215B, a Harman Kardon 430, an HK 680i, Pioneer SX-636, a Sansui 771, and a Sansui 8080DB. They are all great, and if you could get any one of them, unless you insisted on brand new gear or were extra picky and could afford mega great stuff, you would be doing fine. I'm kinda picky, and the 8080DB is the best of all of them, and distances itself the minute you turn it on, but I'd be happy with any of them. I will have to add that my Klipsch Fortes are the one thing of all that stuff listed that I would not sell, no way no how. They go in common market for $500-$600, and I only gave $300 for mine. I've heard of stoopid thrift-store scores on them, but no way is that the norm. I'd be shitting gold bricks to find some cheaper than $300. They make anything I throw at them sound great, and vice versa. Hope that helps.

Everything listed below is my signature. It should be visible to anyone reading this post. But, just ffs, I have a Marantz 2215B, a Harman Kardon 430, an HK 680i, Pioneer SX-636, a Sansui 771, and a Sansui 8080DB. They are all great, and if you could get any one of them, unless you insisted on brand new gear or were extra picky and could afford mega great stuff, you would be doing fine. I'm kinda picky, and the 8080DB is the best of all of them, and distances itself the minute you turn it on, but I'd be happy with any of them. I will have to add that my Klipsch Fortes are the one thing of all that stuff listed that I would not sell, no way no how. They go in common market for $500-$600, and I only gave $300 for mine. I've heard of stoopid thrift-store scores on them, but no way is that the norm. I'd be shitting gold bricks to find some cheaper than $300. They make anything I throw at them sound great, and vice versa. Hope that helps.

It nice to see that someone else prefers the 8080db. I have all of the XOXO series recievers and the 8080db tops all the rest. I have 4 of them !

okay, so has anyone of you tried comparing the 2285 or 2270 or any comparably powered marantz to the 8080, i mean which won has a more musical appeal?

I have tied The Marantz 2325, 2270, Pioneer 1980, 1250, 1050, 950,850, Yamaha 3020, 2020, Kenwood 9600 and many others. They have all been sold and the Sansui 8080db is still my favorite SS receiver. I now have tubes everywhere except my home office and that is my Sansui room along with a set of Chorus II.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2011 at 12:57 PM, russ69 said:

Your next step is a nice integrated then after that you'll be ready for separates. Each step is a new awakening. Powerful changes are in your future.

(In reference to this zombie thread:)

That's been my experience, as well. Since older Marantz gear is being discussed, I'll put my 1152D right up there as a very "musical" integrated amp. Sounds very, very good with my Forte IIs. That said, my Dynaco separates sound even better! 🙂

I do have a Marantz HT receiver that I run with four KG 3.5s & a sub but it's really unfair to try to compare it to the 1152D & Fortes. Apple & oranges. Both work supremely well for me, though.

Frank