speaker bases/stands

vnzbd

I currently have a set of Chorus IIs that I removed the basses. I do not care for the stock look and they were minorly damaged in comparison to the excellent cabinets. I have rubber feet installed(.25" H x 1.25 W) They provide good footing but am looking for a possible change. I am considering new constructing new basses of some sort but not have come up with a suitable design. The speakers site on travertine marble floors so spikes of any kind are out, even with the "spike discs". I want something more substantle weight wise than the stock. I have considered granite but have read that it transfers resonsance. I am considering using 3/4 mdf and just layering it up until I reach the 3.5 - 5" desired height and using "blu tac" to secure the speakers to the stands.

Does anybody have and experience or ideas with these types of projects. All ideas are appreciated!

if you are interested in a nice custom stand which will be both attractive as well as funcctional take a look at Noel Nolan's four post stands at Skylan stands. These are what I will be using under a pair of Forte ll and a set of Quartets. You want the bottom of the mouth of your tweeter to be at about 36 - 38 inches off the ground to have them at ear height at your listening position so your seating will dictate the exact stand height. Remember also that if you plan to use spikes or nylon covered feet under the stand they will contribute about 3/4" - 1" of height to your stand. Hope this is of interest best regards Moray James.

http://www.skylanstands.com/

i did a cheap "mapleshade" imitation for a set of klipsch b-3's i used to own.

i stacked 4 sheets of birch ply, screwed and glued, then "framed" the outside with birch also. then i added 3/4" quarter round trim on top of the framing birch just to finish them off. worked okay.