Emotiva - XPA vs UPA

Beechnut

UPA-1 has the same one channel 200W module as multichannel XPA amps XPA-5 and XPA-3 have, but gets benefits of monoblock.

XPA-2 is entirely different beast and XPA-1 is a fully balanced 500W amp up there with higher end.

Loads of info on those amps at Emo forums.

You can start here

Other benefits on the XPA models are higher quality binding posts and XLR inputs which all the XPA models have, however the UPA-1 does have an XLR input.

Personally I think the UPA models are excellent amps but that the XPA amps are a definite improvement and well worth the additional price for the increased power and XLR inputs are much nicer than RCA.

I personally do not need balanced as in my HT connections are short and i have no interference to eliminate. UPA-1 is not a balanced amp anyways, but they might be releasing something like that soon. Emotiva have like 40 new products in works so watch out for more of great value they produce :)

I can confirm this. Just hooked the XPA-5 and UMC-1 to test for noise (never ever noticed it before) and with my ear 1 foot in front of drivers i can hear small hiss with no source playing. But then again, at 99dB Forte IIs are not as sensitive as Heritage speakers.

Yes, of course it also depends on your Klipsch speaker series, the Reference
series which I have love the power of the XPA amp and the speakers are
quiet with no hiss or floor noise.The extra power really improves the bass and headroom.

While there are other Klipsch speaker series which are ultra efficient and don't play well with high powered amps, these would be better suited with a lower powered amp, these are often paired with tube amps. I believe this is what Klipsch speakers Emotiva is referring to.