Crites CS-1.5 help needed

Toon Army

I'm new to the forum (and new to Hi-Fi/HT) but have been reading for quite a while, since I started looking for speakers for a HT - this is not a dedicated room but just my living room.

After deciding on RF62/RF82, RC62 and RB52 speakers I came across Bob Crites' Cornscalas and thought WOW! My room is not really big enough for these so I thought that 3 x CS-1.5's and 2 CS-1's would be good (am I right, would it be worth building these over buying the reference line?).

My problem is sourcing parts as I'm in the UK and ordering from the US will cost a fortune in customs charges etc. I was hoping to buy only the crossovers from the US. I should be able to get the Selenium D220Ti (still waiting to hear from seller if these are 8 or 16 Ohm) but not the Selenium HM25-25 so would likely have to get this from US also.

So, a few questions:

1 - Would the CS-1.5/CS-1's be worth the effort over ref series?

2 - Is there a difference between using the 8 or 16 Ohm D220Ti drivers?

3 - What would I need to look for in a woofer that I could use with the CS1 crossover from Bob Crites?

Paul

If I had opportunity to do DIY (space, time and skill) speakers, i would definitely go for it. If You do it right and it results in nice sound, Your enjoyment will be boosted by sense of accomplishement. As for the horn, Mr.Crites might advise if it's possible to use different one.

Welcome to forum

Danzo and moray james thank you both for the welcome and the encouragement. I know I should ask Bob Crites about this but wanted some opinions on it being worth it over ref series. I suppose it's because this will be my first HT speaker set-up and is a lot of money for me, so I start doubting my choice. Thing is, I am really excited by the thought of building my own and just hope I can source the necessary parts.

Toon Army: I have not heard Bob's designs so I cannot comment except to say that with horns bigger is better. I would expect anything Bob Does is first rate because that's the kind of man he is. Perhaps you should decide if your personal preference is for the RF series or the Heritage series as that will help you a lot. Best regards Moray James.

i've owned reference series. once i got heritage (cornwalls), i sold off all my reference stuff.

now that i am building CS-1, i am letting go of my cornwalls. not that the CS-1 are better, it's just the cornwall had too much of a foot print in my small media room.

and from what i've heard, the CS-1/CS1.5 should be good replacements for the cornwalls when pair with a pair of capable subs.

if you're using Crites crossover, you need the 16ohm selenium drivers.

i would definitely opt for the Cornscala if your room/budget can accomodate them. if not the CS series should be very good builds.

Moray - I understand what you're saying about deciding between reference and heritage but I suppose the fact I've started this post tells me I've made my mind up anyway regarding DIY [:)]. For some reason I was wanting confirmation from others that it's a good decision - a forum consensus.

Smokarz - Thanks for your input - exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. I am still waiting to hear on whether the Selenium drivers are 16 Ohm or not. If not, my only other option would be a 2 way Cornscala (Style D) using the Faital HF200 driver, as this driver is available for a decent price along with the 2380 horn. I would not mind this anyway as the Cornscala Style D is so appealing but could only fit 2 of these in my room (and only if I alter the room somewhat) and would need to try and come up with a smaller design for centre and surrounds, though there is not much scope for altering the dimensions when using a driver with a 2" throat.

My 3rd question still remains - What would I need to look for in a woofer to use with a Crites crossover? I couldn't pay the charges for getting the Crites woofers to the UK. Would it be possible to substitute the Crites woofer and still use the same crossover?

Paul

Toon Army: don't pass up any future chance to listen to some Heritage designs. Part of the fun of DIY is you get to do it as much as you want or need as it can get addictive. Check with Bob and explain your situation he is very helpful. Once you get the T/S data ond suggestions from Bob you can start to look locally. You might try having a look at the Fane line up as they make a lot of good drivers. Once you have some data you will know what to look for close to home. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Best regards Moray James.

If you were building the 2way cornscala (or any cornscala) you could use a Emenice 15c with was the defalt before Bob came up with his woofers.

The Selenuim 220ti comes as a 8ohm and as a 16ohm version... to use bob's crossovers you need to use thr 16ohm.

I have tried a generic 12" woofer with bobs crossover and it was acceptible... a bit darker. Bob really did something special when he spec'd this woofer... I believe it goes higher then most 12" woofers... I only use his woofer for the CS projects I have build... they are that good.

I have tried a ported CS1.5 and the CS1. I find the CS1 an easier build, and didnt miss the bass. The CS1.5 goes lower. The CS1 is like a british monitor on steriods.

If I had to chose between 5.1 sound and 2.1 with any verson of cornscala's Id chose the Cornscalas... I have built and some times sell both... I never play my cornscalas if Im trying to sell a CS1.... The sound difference is that pronouced. Bobs flat pack boxs are so cool for building these speakers the right way without all the pain of the learning process.

Lastly, I have run cornscalas are 3ways (a few different versions) and most recently as a 2 way. The 2 way setup is very very cool, Im now upgrading to the elipitrac horns.... hoever I recomend Bobs Cornscala type C... I use something similar... the Selenuim D220ti as use a tweeter is a amazing option.

Just checking in to see how you are doing Toon Army? B&C have some very nice 12 inch drivers which will run well in small volume cabinets yet provide high efficiency. A number are neo magnets so they are light to ship and lug around. Good luck best regards Moray James.