Another pair of Cornscalas is born

jhoak

OK... Lets call these "version 3.0" and the FINAL version. Probably...[;)]

Version 1 had SpeakerLab woofers, P Audio H4427 horns, K-55V squawker drivers, Eminence APT150 tweeters and cobbled together crossovers. Version 2 added CW1526C woofers and refined the crossover a bit along with adding internal damping material. Version 2.1 had the updated crossover shown in the post above this one and Selenium D250-X squawker drivers. Version 3 keeps the woofers, tweeters, and crossovers and adds a set of M2380 horns and Selenium D405 squawker drivers. This is where developement ends. At least for now...

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the M2380/D405 combo. It's not that they sound bad it's just that they didn't make a significant improvement over the previous squawkers. I guess the lesson here is that the K-55V and the D250-X are both excellent drivers when mated with a good horn. Yes the woofer is currently front mounted. It's an experiment to see if there is any difference. If anything I think I may have lost some bass output. I can't quite put my finger on why that would be though. Changing the cabinet volume without changing the port tuning perhaps? Either way once they get broken back down for veneer I'll be mounting the woofers internally again.

I guess if there's any good news about the M2380/D405 combo its that if I ever decide to go 2-way with something along the lines of Faital HF200 drivers I'll be all set. Of course that won't be happening any time soon.

Speaking of veneer I have several sheets or red oak veneer "relaxing" in the guest room. I'll be giving the speakers a few days of listening tests before hauling them back to the garage for veneer. THAT should be a fun project...

Here' the latest pictures. #1 is a finished front with the woofer front mounted, #2 is the interior shot right before I put the backs on, #3 is with them all buttoned up (do you think I used enough screws?), #4 is a shot of the pair still in the garage and #5 is them in place and making music.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!!!

They've kind of been on the "back burner" for a few days but this morning I guess I got "inspired" or whatever.

Cabinet number 1 is now veneered in red oak. I did the best I could to "book match" around the cabinet. It's pretty good but not perfect. I doubt anyone would fault me for it. OK... Maybe Mr. Fisher who taught advanced shop but he always was a nit-picker. [;)] Here's the photos of #1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I can get the other one veneered tomorrow and then spend a couple of days with Watco oil, sandpaper, and steel wool these guys could be in my living room by the weekend. Which raises the obvious question... What the !#$% am I going to do with the oak Cornwall IIs that I bought the other day?

Yet another Cornscala build update...

Well I've spent a couple of days with veneer, sharp knifes, and Watco oil. Here's what they look like after coat #1 (of 3) of Watco "Golden Oak" Danish oil.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first 2 pictures are just to show how much color the oil brings to the party.

No shellac involved. Straight Watco oil. Since those pictures were taken they've received a second coat of Golden Oak oil and a coat of Watco "Natural" oil with a light sanding (400 grit followed by tack cloth) between coats. I'm planning to do 3 maybe 4 more coats of the natural oil before I'm done.

They are turning out to be very pretty. I'll likely start a new "my Cornscalas are done" thread once I finish the finishing (HMMM...) and get them reassembled and grills built.

That's when things will get "interesting. For reasons that I have not yet been able to wrap my brain around I bought a pair of Cornwall IIs last Sunday. Like I needed ANOTHER pair of speakers. I don't have room for both. One of them has to go. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to offer both pairs up for sale but only sell one pair and keep (and be happy with) which ever pair remains.