F-3, 62, 82, 63, 83, or 7's

JasonJCarney

I am thinking about getting different floor standers. Rf 63's for $1000 or Rf 82's for $750. Both sets are brand new. Thoughts? I had f-3's and now have rf 62ii's. I have a small room and 2 eD A5-350's so low's are not an issue. Should I stay with the 62ii's? Go back to the f-3's or upgrade? I also have a set of rf83's available for $1400 and rf 7ii's for $2200. Space is an issue. I can fit any of them but the seating is 9 feet from the wall so the further out the speakers sit the closer they are to me. Also I only use them for HT.

I am thinking about getting different floor standers. Rf 63's for $1000 or Rf 82's for $750. Both sets are brand new. Thoughts? I had f-3's and now have rf 62ii's. I have a small room and 2 eD A5-350's so low's are not an issue. Should I stay with the 62ii's? Go back to the f-3's or upgrade? I also have a set of rf83's available for $1400 and rf 7ii's for $2200. Space is an issue. I can fit any of them but the seating is 9 feet from the wall so the further out the speakers sit the closer they are to me. Also I only use them for HT.

Depends on your budget if you are ok spending the money on rf-7ii then it would match your rc-64ii for look and sound but if that’s not in your budget 82s-83s all would be great upgrades. Rf-63 for 1k is a great value for sure. I’ve owned the 82s and 7s both are great speakers for the money. I think it’s all about what you would be comfortable spending. I’ve read that the rf-82 isn’t much of an upgrade over the rf-62 I kind of don’t know if that is true to my ears I felt the 82s had more of everything when comparing the two in the store when I bought the 82s. But the room in the store might be bigger than your room so in your room they may not sound that much better. If it was me I’d try and stay in the in the new reference line to match the speakers colors and design of your 64ii. The 83 and 63s are deeper speaker design than the 82 or 7s.

The 63s, 83s, and 7 iis are definately superior speakers, built in the US instead of China with wood cabinets, better looks, and better internal components. They will sound better than the 62 iis, 82s and F-3s for sure. You've already got the F-3s and the 62 iis, so I would think that the comparison between the two would tell you which you prefer, and without having heard the F-3s, I would be willing to bet that the 62 iis would have a cleaner sound, but that is up to you.

I currently own the RF-82s and RF-25s (two models back of the RF-62 iis). While I know the 62 iis have much lower bass than the 25s, the RF-82s blew them out of the water. In a large room, the 82s had a much greater pressence. They sounded deeper and better filled the sound stage of the room. At the time I purchased the 25s, I did so because it was the best sounding speaker in my budget. If I had $2200.00 to spend on my front two, I would definately buy the RF-7 iis! If I only had $1400.00, the 83s, and for $1000.00 I'd get the 63s. Now, $750.00 for 82s sounds kind of expensive, espescially when you already have the 62 iis and the F-3s. I wouldn't think that is much of an upgrade for the price.

Are you unhappy with the 62 iis and F-3s, or is this more of an upgrade bug? The 62 iis should do great in a small area, and I wouldn't hesitate to keep what you have, but if you are going to upgrade then do it all the way! Maximize your budget and scare people just a bit with the new 7 iis or a pair of fire breathing monsters!!!!

Upgrade bug I guess. Always thought I wanted the 83's. Then the 7ii's because they were not as deep as the 83's. Now with the 62ii's I am liking their size. I would say the f-3's are maybe the biggest I would want to go depth wise. I was about to get the 63's but I really don't like how deep they are. The 7ii's are a better size being much shallower and width is not really an issue. However the 7ii's are just so much more expensive than the 63's. I'm just wondering if the 7ii's are $1200 better than the 63's and $1700 better than the 62ii's?

Upgrade bug I guess. Always thought I wanted the 83's. Then the 7ii's because they were not as deep as the 83's. Now with the 62ii's I am liking their size. I would say the f-3's are maybe the biggest I would want to go depth wise. I was about to get the 63's but I really don't like how deep they are. The 7ii's are a better size being much shallower and width is not really an issue. However the 7ii's are just so much more expensive than the 63's. I'm just wondering if the 7ii's are $1200 better than the 63's and $1700 better than the 62ii's?

Well, get what you'll be happy with. If the 62 iis make you happy then keep them. If you buy the 83s/63s and they are too deep, you'll still be wondering about those 7 iis. If I were you, I'd spend some more time with the 62 iis and wait for some 7 iis to pop up used at a price you are more comfortable with down the road.

Your right about more time. I can't decide without some playtime. I have master and commander from Netflix right now so hopefully I'll get to watch it (should my son allow) lol. Well at this point I just don't see. Myself dropping $2200 on the 7ii's. I listened to them right next to the 62's at a local shop and just didn't hear a $1700 difference. Now I would love to hear the 63's and 82ii's but nobody seems to have any locally.

Your right about more time. I can't decide without some playtime. I have master and commander from Netflix right now so hopefully I'll get to watch it (should my son allow) lol. Well at this point I just don't see. Myself dropping $2200 on the 7ii's. I listened to them right next to the 62's at a local shop and just didn't hear a $1700 difference. Now I would love to hear the 63's and 82ii's but nobody seems to have any locally.

What’s worth the extra money will change with everyone’s budget and ears. I paid a lot less for my 7s. I don’t think at the time I would have paid that. After having them for about 4mo though I would pay 2200 in a heartbeat. Keep in mind there is always a better deal or value around the corner and you could drive yourself crazy trying to get the best deal or value vs dollar. Buying speakers that are discontinued will probably give a better value for your dollar then a new flagship line speaker. If you do buy the 63 or the 83 I would look at trying to get the old rc-64. Probably could sell or trade your 64ii

no brainer for me. 63s for $1000 is a deal, and 83s is just as good.

I agree totally with Nezff on this. I paid $1000.00 used in May 2008 for my RF-63's and would do it again today for that price. Either deal is a steal.

Bill