Anyone own an onkyo rc270?

JasonJCarney

Trying hard to pick out an onkyo with preouts. I compared the nr708, nr709, nr808, rc 270, and rc370 on onkyo's website. Besides the power per channel there is no difference in specs that I care about. Since I'll be using a 5 channel amp the ppc does not matter to me either. The rc270 is under $400 on assesories4less and the others go up in price from there. Wondering if anyone has owned one of these units. Is there some reason I'm not seeing to go higher end? I am 100% home theatre.

If you are going to use the receiver as a pre/pro, then I see no real reason to get anything but the cheapest Onkyo you can find. I have the 708 and I really liked it (until it blew up). My front Left channel was defective and started smoking. I shipped it to the nearest authorized repair area and they fixed it for free, but it was gone for a full month.

I think the Onkyo's are great for HT as they have a ton of processing capabilities. I noticed that the 270 has one less HDMI (6 instead of 7), no Sirius Radio, which you probably don't care about, and no RS-232 (don't even know what that is), when compared to the 708. You've got all your processing needs and your pre-outs, so save some cash! I went with the 708 for similar reasons, except that I don't yet have a seperate amp. It was the cheapest receiver I could find that could be used as a pre-pro.

One thing, I'm not sure what the difference between the RC model line and the TX model line is. It could be that the RC line uses cheaper components. I just don't know.

I caution just buying the cheapest unit. Video transfer would be one thing to look at if you plan on running your video outs to the onkyo and then to the TV. You want to make sure you’re getting the full color transfer possible. I know on mine the video transfer is better on mine than on the lowers models. I know denon is the same way not sure about onkyo. Most stuff doesn’t have 2 hdmi out puts so from say a ps3 if you want to use the hd formats for sound you have to run the hdmi to the avr first then from the avr to the tv. So you can lose picture quality if you use a lower level avr. Now you could run optical from the ps3 to the avr and the hdmi to the TV but then you can’t use the new hd sound formats

Even though you’re cutting out the power part of the avr the processing parts are still huge and the sound will be affected by how good it is as well imo

Assuming that the RC line uses the same internal processing components as the TX line (big assumption) then is there any reason to go up to the TX line? Both are Onkyo's and have a good reputation for processing HT. Again, using the assumption above, the RC270 should have everything he needs and at a great price!

I did notice that on the Onkyo website, the company lists the HT-rc270 as a great "entry level" receiver and the TX-nr708 as a great "mid-level" receiver despite only a $50.00 MSRP difference...which of course leads me to believe that the HT line uses infereior internal components for either the amps, processors, or both.

TX-NR8097.2-Channel Network A/V ReceiverHDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel High-Quality HQV® Vida™ VHD1900 Video ProcessorMarvell Qdeo™ 4K Upscaling and ProcessingISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration for Optimal Video PerformanceNetwork Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network StreamingCompatible with UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter (via Front-Panel USB Port)THX® Select2 Plus™ CertifiedAudyssey MultEQ® XT Advanced Room-correction and Speaker CalibrationAudyssey DSX™ and Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz Add New Dimensions to Surround SoundDirect Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB PortOnkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone HT-RC3607.2-Channel Network A/V ReceiverHDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel Marvell Qdeo™ 4K Upscaling and ProcessingNetwork Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network StreamingAudyssey DSX™ and Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz Add New Dimensions to Surround SoundDirect Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB PortOnkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone The video transfer is much better on the top unit

Trying hard to pick out an onkyo with preouts. I compared the nr708, nr709, nr808, rc 270, and rc370 on onkyo's website. Besides the power per channel there is no difference in specs that I care about. Since I'll be using a 5 channel amp the ppc does not matter to me either.

Jason,

You are driving me bananas.[:P] Just kidding, I know these are very important decisions and you want to make them wisely.

Here are some great combinations that should meet all your needs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR708/Onkyo/TX-NR708-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

with

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1309991180&/Outlaw-Audio-755-5-X-200W-Amp

(Ask Jrod about his Outlaw amp)

or

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1310432481&/B-K-7270-MkII---Black---7-chan

(Build quality is impeccable, very warm sounding with plenty of ooomph. Really sounds great with RF-63's)

or

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1310494262&/NAD-T973-140w-x-7

(Neutral/warmish and very punchy, don't be fooled by it's 140w/channel rating, very conservative)

When I had my Onkyo TX-SR705/B&K Reference 4430 combo hooked up to my RF-63 system, for HT I don't think it could have performed better. Flawless operation/switching with many adjustments available to tweak as you please. I do think the Onkyo TX-NR708 with any one of the amps mentioned will provide you with an incredible HT experience.

Bill

Willand. I am probably over analyzing this decision ( Internet shopping will lead to that). I'll probably go with the nr707 for $400 and then I'll look at those amps you suggested. I was gonna pair it with an emotiva xpa-5. What do you think of that amp?

Love mine sounds great! Wait for their sales though can probably save a few hundred when they go on sale with free shipping I bet they will have a sale on the 4th of July

I am probably over analyzing this decision

You know, if you don't ask the right questions, you don't get the right answers.

I was gonna pair it with an emotiva xpa-5. What do you think of that amp?

As you know, there are a few Emo owners on this forum. Most if not all are very pleased with their amps. I had a UPA-2 for about a week and sold it. That is my only experience with Emotiva.

B&K and NAD are a different story. I have (2) B&K amps and own and have owned a few pieces of NAD gear. I think both companies make very musical and powerful amps.

Bill