KG4 date code?

cyto

I have been looking at the post info on Klipsch date codes but cannot seem to figure this out. This is what is on the paper stapled on the back on mine:

P/N 09000241111 same on both

S/N 24957 on one and 24958 on the other

W/O 4581 same on both

Does anyone here know what the numbers mean?

Thanks

Not sure how the "scheme" worked for the non-Heritage series, but given the short serial numbers, and that quite a few KG's were made, the key may be in the part number, specifically in the first two digits. I suspect that they were made in 1990 (09000xxxxxx). Hopefully, someone will have an earlier or later (between 1985 and 1992) pair that had the drivers removed. There may be a production sticker (P.R.I.D.E.) tag inside that has a number of dates as it passed through production. That would also help decipher the "24" in the part number that also appears as the first two digits of the serial number. That could be related to the week in 1990 (maybe) in which they were made. About the third week of June or so.

Just a thought, but that would be consistent with the ealier number system codings.

• Klipsch Employees

Walnut Oiled April 1985 12 4957

This is my guess...Klipsch changed the lay out of the SN many times in the 80' s and we do not have a good record of each version.

Here you will find some of the basic info on the KG4.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

KG 4.........................38Hz - 20kHz...............94........... 100w / 500w .............. 6 Ohms.......... Passive Radiator............. K-74-K Phenolic Comp. .........................90x40 Exponential.................... 1800Hz xover.............................. (2) K-8-K 8"..... Poly ICG / KD-12 12" ..........F-C..................24.25 x 15.75 x 10.75................. 40lbs ............ MDF................. Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black ...............$618-b / $672-o,w ...........$340-b / $370-o,w ................1985 - 1992

• Like 1

Thanks Trey! A great "clue"!!!

4- April

5- 1985

The "81" could refer to production run number for the KG's. That would be somewhat consistent with how the heritage numbering worked with the "run" being the first 2-3 digits, then the year digit, then the serial.

Wondering..? Huhm..? May have to start my "Bletchley Park Decode the Enigma" work again... LOL!!

[H]

I'd still love it if we could pull a driver and see if the PRIDE sticker is inside! That would really be a clue!

I had the crossovers out when I upgraded the caps, I seen a tag in there but I did not see a date on it.

I have a feeling that curiosity will get the best of me and I will pull a driver and look.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

And I LOVE these speakers [:D]

• 11 years later...

Hello everyone,

I figure I would wait at least a decade to add my 2 cents...

At least this will be correct for speakers made this year, as was stated, this changed many times.

Serial # 8867055 / 8867056

image.jpeg.750332ac846389c10d3db8fdf6c13ef9.jpeg

Speakers where built in 1988 during the months of October and November.  I'm guessing that the numbers in the parenthesis means that they were started on October 19 and finished on October 31 as that's what the sticker inside pretty much coincides with.

image.jpeg.247982afe7f84dc504c4e7b297bcc95a.jpeg

Close up...

image.jpeg.c743ef33be8817965dd2d1b75e50696f.jpeg

The tweeter driver has"8840" and I'm assuming the first two numbers are the production year for that, unless that's an unlikely coincidence.

image.jpeg.99af4ab670ef032b7c67e8ea50fc37da.jpeg

I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1