Custom Speaker building.

Here is what I would suggest you do in this situation. Buy a used set of RB61 and install them (crossovers and all) into your polk cabinets. Install a solid air tight partition inside so that you are providing the same internal volume that the RB61 have and make a vent the same size as the RB61. So you will have a set of RB61 in the polk cabinets. Drill a 3/4 inch hole in the bottom of the polk cabinet and fill the void with dry sand or kitty litter, cover the hole with packing tap. This will mass load the bottom unused section of the cabinet and make sure it cannot resonate and it will add substantial mass to your overall cabinet making it sound better. That's the easiest safest way I can think of you using your polk cabinets with grill and getting a good working set of Klipsch speaker. The RB61 is a very good sounding speaker and if you place them near a wall or a corner they can make an astounding amount of bass for such a small speaker. I hope this helps Note this assumes that you can remove either the back or the front baffle on your polk to install the new bottom for the RB61. If you can't remove the baffle then you could simply insert a strong garden leaf bag and fill it with sand to the right height to leave you with the necessary volume for the RB61 and use a twist tie to close it off then install your new vent for the RB61. That's the best I've got for you given the circumstances and your desire to use the polk cabinets. I hope this gives you some usefull ideas. Perhaps someone else will have some different ideas for you to consider as well. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the advice so far. I just want to be clear on one thing. I am not doing this because I don't want to pay price tag on a new set of Klipsch speakers. I have always bought Klipsch and think they are priced very competitively. I am doing it because I like the looks of this speaker and think it will be a fun project. If it fails miserably I will buy a new set of speakers and move on. IF it goes well I will have something very unique and I will be able to say "I did that." I am leaning heavily towards the reference series due to the advice of my Fiancées uncle. He builds speakers for a company called Legacy. Stop buy http://www.legacyaudio.com and check out there stuff if you have never heard of them. (The Helix especially) I mentioned the promedia woofers to him and he told me they would not at all be what I was looking for in a floor stander. The Reference speakers will work but now I need to find a new tweeter. According to him the problem with that is finding a horn that will not get drowned out by the woofers yet small enough to fit in my space. I also have no intention of using the old crossover. I understand a lot of you may look at this and think what a head ache but I like the challenge. If your optimistic or pessimistic of the outcome it is fine with me just feel encouraged to share knowledge and be constructive. Once I make a decision I will build it and post the results here. If I fall flat on my face or make a speaker rivaling the Palladium (Yea Right) I will post my results. With Pictures if I can figure it out.

Why did you remove your post?

Because yet once again I received an email from an anonymous member here informing me that (1) my "opinion" counts for something a bit less than nothing, (2) I don't know $*&% from Shinola when it comes to speakers of ANY brand, and (3) I have no business whatsoever handing out "advice" to anyone.

In other words I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm a ~!#$%^& idiot and I should keep my "opinions" to myself. I'm going to crawl back in to the hole I came out of now... I apologize for disrupting your thread.

Somewhere along the line I must have really pissed someone off. [:(]

No it really doesn't happen here "often" at all. I just happen to be the victim du jour. Whoever it is at some point soon they'll tire of me and move on to the next one at which time I'll go back to posting my "opinion" without any concerns.

I would be happy to converse with you about your project by PM or email or even by phone. PM your email adress and we'll talk.

Jeff

I am surprised only one person has came forward with an Idea. This is a Klipsch enthusiast forum. Yea remember the guy Paul Klipsch that used the same components in three Radically different enclosures. I realize he was a genious but I thought I would throw that out there. If ya think I am mistaken...Check out the Heritage line up.

Likely only one person came forward because just swapping parts into the speaker is not likely to sound very good. There are significant other things, such as crossover, tuning, quality of the components, matching of the components, at minimum that are involved here.

First thing to understand is that without a proper crossover, you will be wasting your money. If you know how to build a good crossover, then proceed. You can't just swap stuff or go by an off the shelf crossover since you are almost guaranteed failure in your end goal, a better sounding speaker.