NAD 2200 vs Emo UPA-2 vs Onkyo M-282

cyto

I am looking at adding an amp to my 2 channel system and use the Technics as a pre-amp, down the road I hope to upgrade to a better pre-amp. Can't spend more than $400 on the amp and this is what I have been looking at:

NAD 2200 used for $250

Emotiva UPA-2 new $389 (I have Emo subs and love them, also the Emo headquarters is 20 miles from my house)

Onkyo M-282 new $300 refurbished $170

What do you think would go best with the KG4s?

I just re-read your post. The EMO HQ is in Tennessee? I didn't know that. Since you live so close, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to give their amp a try as you could return it very easily if you didn't like it. They seem to get pretty good reviews for their price range. I have personally not heard any of their amps, so I can't give an honest opinion as far as their sound goes. Also, there is something to say for having piece of mind when you have new gear with a warranty...

I just re-read your post. The EMO HQ is in Tennessee? I didn't know that.

Yep, Emotiva is located in Franklin, Tn. About 15 or 20 miles north of me. They are very good people with good customer service. I am just not sure if the sound would be good with the KG4s, as opposed to the other options.

I just re-read your post. The EMO HQ is in Tennessee? I didn't know that.

Yep, Emotiva is located in Franklin, Tn. About 15 or 20 miles north of me. They are very good people with good customer service. I am just not sure if the sound would be good with the KG4s, as opposed to the other options.

I hear what you're sayin'. I believe there are quite a few Emotiva owners here, hopefully some of them will chime in. Like I said, you could always try one out and return it if you didn't like it. They have a 30 day return policy, correct? Also, have you looked on Audiogon? There are good deals to be found there as well...

I have heard NAD with Klipsch and personally feel like it is a good combo, that's why I quickly chose that option of the three...

the emotiva amp i have is great, cant really knock it. I havent been able to a/b compare it though to another like amp since i own the XPA-5. I can say though that it has a comparable sound to my denon, but cleaner and well, more power. Check out rotel too as they make good solid amps. I just picked up a used rotel receiver the other day, havent used it too much yet but i have tested it and the sound is very clean, good power from what i can tell.

NAD is a great company, my dad had a nad amp until it died, it was quite old but he still has his NAD channel selector.

the emotiva amp i have is great, cant really knock it. I havent been able to a/b compare it though to another like amp since i own the XPA-5. I can say though that it has a comparable sound to my denon, but cleaner and well, more power. Check out rotel too as they make good solid amps. I just picked up a used rotel receiver the other day, havent used it too much yet but i have tested it and the sound is very clean, good power from what i can tell. Look into some used parssound too, might be able to get something good on craigslist thats not too old.

NAD is a great company, my dad had a nad amp until it died, it was quite old but he still has his NAD channel selector.

As long as the NAD is clean that is what I would choose.

I'm using a newer NAD right now and it is good.

Go with the NAD. Very musical and will drive difficult loads with no problem.

I actually had an older NAD 1020A preamp/2150 amp/4125 tuner combo and it sounded awesome with my KG4's. Only 50w/ch but sounded more powerful.

Bill