Dueling Velodyne Subs (HGS15 vs DD12)

Youthman

• Moderators

I brought home a new toy to play with today. A Velodyne DD12 (12" with 1250w RMS/3000 peak) subwoofer with the Calibration Mic! I've heard a lot of great things about the DD Series and I have been more than pleased with my Velodyne HGS15 which was the series prior to the DD Series.

I'll be placing an order with Monoprice tonight for some additional cables, Y adapters etc so I can hook both subs up to my system using the one sub preout on my receiver. I can't wait to get it hooked up this weekend to see how it compares to
my HGS15 and finally hear what it sounds like to have two subs in my HT.

At first sight, it is georgeous with the Piano Black Finish. It has XLR inputs as well as the Calibration Mic and a video out so you can actually see the frequency response. I can't wait to get it hooked up over the weekend. One thing that really surprised me was how small and light the sub is compared to my HGS15.

Specs Compared:

HGS15 DD12
19.74" x 18" x 17-7/8" 14.8" x 14" x 15.8"
15" Driver 12" Driver
1250RMS/3000 Peak 1250RMS/3000 Peak
18Hz - 120Hz 17Hz - 120Hz
95lbs 67lbs

Velodyne DD12 with Grill on

Velodyne-DD12-1.jpg

Velodyne DD12 with Grill off

Velodyne-DD12-2.jpg

Velodyne DD12 (Rear View)

Velodyne-DD12-3.jpg

• Moderators

Here is a shot with the calibration mic

Velodyne-DD12-4.jpg

Here is a photo showing the size difference HGS12 on left, DD12 on right. The picture does not do the contrasting sizes justice since the DD12 is closer to the camera and the bottom of the HGS12 is hidden by the false wall.

Velodyne-DD12-5.jpg

• Moderators

Dumb question here....but would this Y Adapter be the one I need to get? Sometimes Monoprice's website is difficult to find the specific item you are looking for. I guess the "Coaxial" is throwing me off although if I understand correctly, you can use Digital Coax or RCA for audio or even for video.

Here is what I need:

Two 1 Female/ 2 Male Y cables to connect to the subs.

I'm not seeing a One 2 Female/ 1 Male Y for the receiver. Closest thing I'm finding is this adapter (instead of a cable) but I would prefer the cable since that adapter might not fit due to the other cables plugged in around the sub out on the receiver.

I already have a generic Y cable that I can use...I just like the nice quality look of the "Premium" cables from Monoprice...I just can't find one.

I have an extra single sub cable I can use, just need the Y adapters.

• Moderators

You know there are no dumb questions.

I guess you would think that I would know by now. Like I said, I'm just so used to looking for "RCA". When I read "Coaxial", I think of the old school format with the hard wire that screws onto the back of your TV from the VCR.

You should also get (2) of these as if you are going to spread the subs apart.

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=AdptRCFRCF&preadd=action

I was heading the other direction. Connect the above Y that you posted image to to each sub. Then single wire with Male/Male ends from each sub to receiver. At the receiver end, I have a Y that is 1 Male to 2 Female like the one shown below.

Cable-RCA-Y_4933.jpg

I was just trying to find a nicer looking, better quality Y from Monoprice. Maybe something like this.

T06851.jpg

Youthman i think i went through the same thing with monoprice before and actually sent them an email saying they should make a premium 2 female to 1 male. I ended up getting that lower guage one and it worked perfectly, just dont get this one .

That new sub looks real nice i like the looks of it, i found a similar one close to me but dont think the guy will work on the price for me. Are you going to keep it? Should blend decently with the one you already have.

By the way that is sweet it comes with a ray gun

• Moderators

Are you going to keep it?

It's actually a friend of mine's that is in the A/V business. They had it in their demo room but since they really don't have a "store" so He said it probably has 10 hours on it and since it rarely gets used, he wants me to list it on Craigslist for him. So I asked him if I could take it home to play with and photograph it before listing it. LOL He was fine with it. [Y]

As far as keeping it, I know I won't be keeping both. I mainly want to see what the differences are between the two and to be able to hear what 2 subs sounds like in my room.

If I like the DD12 better, I might try and sell mine, depending on how much he wants for his DD12. I'm really trying not to put much into audio right now....but you know how that goes.

Youth that’s the she same mic and eq my Velodyne's SMS-1 is.

What a great tool that is. Don’t run the auto test though that part is junk because

it won’t change the frequencies just the level s of the standard ones. Jump in

and do it manually if you have any ? on

how to use it let me know. You’re going to love that eq when you watch it on the

screen and get it to a flat response you won’t want to give it up. Do a little

homework on the sms-1 I’m pretty sure that’s what you got inside that sub.

• Moderators

Sounds cool. I forgot to get the remote for it and stopped by the shop today but they had already went home for the day...[:(]

Looking in the manual, you have to use the remote to begin the sequence of tones and go through the menu to set it up so I'll have to wait until Monday to see if they have the remote. He thinks he does but isn't sure. Just out of curiosity, I called Velodyne and it's $60 for the remote so I'm hoping he has it.

I'll at least hook it up and see how it sounds but I'm guessing it has been EQ'd for their theater room.

The sms-1 does a sweep from 15 Hz to 200 Hz and you can see

and hear the sweep on your screen. And it plays over and over and every time

you move or change anything you can see how it affects the graph. Every room will change how it looks you get a

chance to really see how good your subs are and how well it works from your lp.

It might be different from the sms-1 not sure though thought I heard they are

the same. I do know that is the same mic that the sms-1 comes with. Having a remote for subs rocks

• Moderators

Ok...once again I am reminded why I love the Harmony One so much. I opened up the Logitech software and it contained the codes for the Velodyne DD12. At first I didn't think it had them since it did not have a subwoofer category. It was listed under Amplifier. I'm off to go play with my new toy.

I'm not home to check right now but can my Harmony One control it? That would be cool.

I’m guessing it would not sure though. Being able to tap the
volume for your subs during a movie is so nice (without having to go into your
avr set up. that’s a pain in the middle of movies plus you have to remember to
change it back)[:o]

• Moderators

Fantastic link! Thx.

Unfortunately, my son has three friends over spending the night and they are playing Black Ops. LOL I'll be the nice Dad and wait until they come out of the theater room even though it probably will be awhile.

• Moderators

For the record, I humbly admit I have no idea what I'm doing. LOL I played around with the mic, eq, frequency response and to be honest, I got pretty lost in the menu. I told you guys I'm not anywhere near an audiophile. [:P]

It definitely sounds clean, not boomy and seems to hang pretty well with my HGS15 but I have not used my SPL Meter to match the volumes yet.

I haven't spent much time with it but from what I hear, I like it, but to me, it doesn't sound much different than my HGS15. I'll try to do some more concrete testings later this weekend with the SPL Meter to see how they both stand up.