Klipschorn 1979 Restauration

I bought a pair of klipschorns in really bad shape.

The previous owner stored them 4 years in a sea container.( I was shocked !!!)

He "painted" them with cheap paint... ugly blue.

And he replaced once a k-33-b with a beyma gt-200. (Who can help me with an original K-33-B Driver ?? )

I want to make them as new again. So this will be my project the next weeks.

post-51203-13819657069498_thumb.jpg

Good luck, indeed!

My friendly suggestion is to take an inventory of what works, what is missing etc. The good news is that the parts are available (woofer, badges, grill cloth etc). For instance, Bob Crites (BEC) would be a good source to get what you need.

My second suggestion is to come up with a plan about how much will be restoration and how much is update/modification, cosmetics. Are you going to hang on to these cabinets after you refurbish them? For instance, fancy cosmetics could eat up quite a bit of time and energy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Tom

Everything is working. Only one driver is not original (Beyma) I need an original K-33-B driver. I dont want "replacement" parts. ( Who can help me out ? )

And the crossovers are working but they go to a mechanic for a check.

And the cabinets go this week to a wood worker. He is gonna restaurate the wood and after that the cabinets go to a proffesional painter to make them shiny piano-black.

The front grills are in good shape only the side grill of one speaker contains holes. ( A problem for later )

You can rebuild these Klipschorns with all modern Klipschorn parts from Klipsch. They will sell you all drivers and crossovers. The horns should be good.

I want an original driver the K-33-B I know i can order a modern woofer at klipsch.

The horns are good iam happy ! Ill post more pictures very soon.

Good luck with the restoration, plan on alot of time if you are doing the veneer work...

My first idea was to paint them glossy piano black.

My second idea is to let them veneer. ANd only paint the upper part.

I will see further in the life saving project.

This is a link to a thread where I am working on a pair of Belles for a forum member. This has been very labor intensive.

The "black laquer" finish is usually a black oil base base color and then multiple (4-6-8) coats of sprayed laquer that has been buffed between coats. The more layers = more gloss and a "thicker" looking finish

The blue paint can probably be removed and the underlying veneer salvaged, but I suspect that there is quite abit uf underlying bodywork to be done, or they wouldn't have been painted in the first place.

You might talk me into taking those ugly things off your hands![;)]

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/148866.aspx?PageIndex=1

• 2 months later...