I was asked my opinion on VRD ST vs. VRD monos

USNRET

I will have maybe 200 hours on the VRD tubes when the Belles come back. All the other components, including the xovers and drivers are well past 'break-in'.

Gosh DARN IT, just as I was typing and having the system warm up for a listening session we took a momentary black out. Very short, some clocks did the flashing 1200 and some did not, the DTV receivers and PC took a dump. I heard the speakers do the 'snap' that occurs when the Peach comes on line (Mark, I do not like that soft start).

Now I have a consistent noise in a preamp tube P** ME OFF; so much for those Ben Franklins.

Can someone recommend a poor man's Battery Back Up (UPS) that can do a fill in in this scenario? It would need to fill in power to the Peach, (2) VRDs, Tercel and Jolida CD?

Shut the preamp off allow it to completely cool off and then turn the entire system back on. Sometimes that is all it takes.....no guarantee but its worth a try.

Mine are the tower version and the part number is SUA1500. These are rated up to 980 watts output capacity. APC also has home theater versions that you might find worth considering. You would need to look at the specs of your equipment to determine the capacity you would need. I like to use not much more than half of the capacity so I will have decent run time in case of a power outage. There are folks here that know a lot more than me when you get to the nitty gritty details of this stuff...

Hey Craig, what is power requirement of the VRDs?

you need to add up all your components that you plan to power with the device. Use there ratings in either watts or VA and then add 30 to 50% for headroom IMHO. The last thing you want to do is overload your protection device.

Agreed so I have:

VRDs (2) @ 300 ea

Jolida Cd @ 20

Pro_Ject Speed Box @ 3

Tercel II @ ??

Peach @ ??

Known 623 watts + Peach and Tercel (which I wouldn't think would draw much) so I was going with 1000 watt capacity which leaves me approx 30% overhead and I never drive the amps hard.

I have read that other than capacity the other two important factors are waveform type (sine wave only good choice) and noise.

This is the rackmount version which is very nice in a rack but might not look too good in your setup as the sides and top are bare metal and meant to be hidden by the rack. Check out the dimensions carefully. The rackmount version is also much more expensive. Disclaimer: the vast majority of my experience with battery backups is with desktop computers and fileservers. There are fancy audio versions such as from Furman or PS Audio that cost many $$ and I have no experience with them. I happily use the Smart UPS tower versions for my computers, home theater and 2 channel setups. I have noticed no problems or noise. Power conditioners are nice I suppose but when you lose power your equipment still goes dead. I like to keep the music playing in the dark while I wait for the lights to come back on! [H]

This looks the closest to the model I use: SUA1500W

Looks like some good deals here: (note that the XL version can have another battery added for extended run time but does not add to capacity) APC Outlet

Oh, and as far as load... I have my computer, dsl modem, router, network switch, lcd monitor, USB DAC, and Scott 299b running and the first bar on the load gauge is still not lit. Sounds like I will be in good shape when I can finally get my own VRDs!

Back in the days of yore here on the forum, a few folks (Craig's ol' buddy Mobile Homeless) insisted audio equipment sounded better when plugged right into the wall. Power conditioners (like hair conditioners, I guess) were for sissies. Boy, the "Gotcha Liberal Media" has sure softened us up.

PS--I have no idea what I'm talking about. At least I haven't changed.

Not trying to filter or condition here. I simply want something that will allow me to power down when the the power grid takes a dump. I really cringe when the local power drops off then in a second or two pops back on. Looking for something that will fill in (as close to 'instantaneous' as possible until I can get over to the system and shut it down.

I went with the APC S20BLK, should be here soon. I also found a friendly lineman for the local AEP and once I described my issue and told him how low my incoming voltage was at times (<116) he came right out and put a monitoring device on my meter. According to him, if he can see it dropping that low he will be authorized to put capacitors in my line to help hold it steady.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=S20BLK

So I got the APC S20BLK today. Here are the real time numbers:

System in use (all powered up, playing CD with preamp volume knob at 9:00):

Twin VRD Monos

Peach Preamp

Jolida JD-100A (modded by HotRodAudioMods) CD

Sony XDR-F1HD tuner

SpeedBox II

Pro_Ject RM-5SE turntable

Stock LaScalas

With 119 VAC incoming I am consuming 250 watts (just less than 3 amps) and have 44 minutes of battery time reported.

I wanted to be safe but seems I have plenty to spare.

I took a peek at the Monster HTPS 7000 power center on the HT setup and it was reporting 117 VAC incoming. 112 degree heat index on the island so I know the grid is taking a beating. In reference to the other thread on possible relaxation of frequency control the APC is showing a steady 60 Hz.

60wpc in ultralinear, 30 in triode, i prefer triode in almosst all situations. If you love the fade and decay of an instrument, triode, if you love the initial hit or impact, untralinear is what you want. I can count on the fingers of my three hands the times i've listened to VRD's in ultralinear mode, when you shabaaz you'll be in triode mode.

Do me a favor.....switch them to UL and leave them there for about a month....then switch back to Triode and report your opinion again. I'm real curious.

I have done this in fact. Last summer when new, would go a month or so triode, next month ultra and then back the next month, i did this the first few months i owned them, i did this cycle at least 3 times, so probably 6 months.

I might have exaggerated a wee bit in my original post. After a full year's ownership, i switch back and forth between triode and ultralinear depending on what i'm listening to...i love having this capability. It takes some serious hours of listening to know which mode for what music but after you do put in the hours, when you select a cut, you'll know before you start which mode you'll be in.

All that said, i probably listen the majority of time in triode. This i think is due to my music selections, which are more acoustic than in my younger years. But, if I'm in a hard hitting mood, AC/DC, Metallica, or even classic 70's rock, ultralinear, no doubt.

When i'm yearning for silky smoothness and getting goosebumps 'cause it sounds so dayum good, i'll be in triode!!

gnat out

60wpc in ultralinear, 30 in triode, i prefer triode in almosst all situations. If you love the fade and decay of an instrument, triode, if you love the initial hit or impact, untralinear is what you want. I can count on the fingers of my three hands the times i've listened to VRD's in ultralinear mode, when you shabaaz you'll be in triode mode.

Do me a favor.....switch them to UL and leave them there for about a month....then switch back to Triode and report your opinion again. I'm real curious.

I have done this in fact. Last summer when new, would go a month or so triode, next month ultra and then back the next month, i did this the first few months i owned them, i did this cycle at least 3 times, so probably 6 months.

I might have exaggerated a wee bit in my original post. After a full year's ownership, i switch back and forth between triode and ultralinear depending on what i'm listening to...i love having this capability. It takes some serious hours of listening to know which mode for what music but after you do put in the hours, when you select a cut, you'll know before you start which mode you'll be in.

All that said, i probably listen the majority of time in triode. This i think is due to my music selections, which are more acoustic than in my younger years. But, if I'm in a hard hitting mood, AC/DC, Metallica, or even classic 70's rock, ultralinear, no doubt.

When i'm yearning for silky smoothness and getting goosebumps 'cause it sounds so dayum good, i'll be in triode!!

gnat out

Good clarification I agree completely [Y]

I suppose I will now have to re-address this issue. I also switched back and forth for a couple weeks at a time when I first bought my VRDs years ago and spent lots of time in triode, primarily with acoustic jazz LPs. At some point I decided UL was all I needed. I listen to a wide variety of music from acoustic jazz to classical to rock (sorry - no AC/DC) to bluegrass and always seemed to prefer the crispness UL provided. I have plenty of "goosebump" moments in UL but I will spend the next few weeks in triode then report back.

I think one point needs to be made here...

No right or wrong exists in audio! If what you're listening to sounds good to you then......It is good. I like Gary just about never switch out of UL. I know the strength of both topologies so what both listeners state here is absolutely true. I just am not the type of listener that wants to keep track of what music sounds best in what mode since all music sounds good in either mode... I just do not have the time or inclination to mess with that type of thing. But I do envy those that do have the time to enjoy there music and system to that depth. I'm just glad wiring in those switches has been beneficial to my customers. It has also made a few competitors do the same.