What line to plug into power conditioner/surge protector -modem/router

I have...probably a dumb question. I have ethernet and coax cable inputs and outputs of my PS audio power conditioner. I put the cable from the street into the conditioner, and then from there...into the modem.

NOW...do I run the ethernet cable that comes from my modem and goes into my router back into the conditioner, or do I plug the ethernet cable from the modem directly into the router and then condition the output from the router that goes into the computer,dvr,ps3...etc? Or do I do all of the above?

Thanks!

then condition the output from the router that goes into the computer,dvr,ps3...etc?

If it were me and I had only one protected Ethernet port on the PS then I would 'condition' from modem to router. In my mind its not doing much anyway since all the wiring in segregated from external spikes, etc.

Did you mean to say "wouldn't"? I'm guessing you are implying the modem is already protected from spikes since the coax from the street goes into the ps first....and then running the cat6 into the ps before the router would be overkill? I guess ill run one of the cat6 lines from the router into the ps and then from the ps into either the computer or the ps3....prob the computer since I use the internet more there...and the computer costs 3 times what a ps3 does :)

I'm confused.

I have the coax coming OUT of the conditioner into the modem...now are you saying to utilize the only ethernet jack on the power conditioner by plugging the cat 6 cable that comes OUT of the modem and would normally go into the router, INTO the power conditioner before sending it back to the router?

So then the router would send straight cables to all my devices, CPU, DVR, etc.

I'm guessing you are implying the modem is already protected from spikes since the coax from the street goes into the ps first....and then running the cat6 into the ps before the router would be overkill?

You are asking a damning question. According to concepts from others, every wire from the router must first go through the ps before connecting to anything else. Otherwise a surge entering the house can use any wire to get destructively into the router.

Problem with an adjacent protector: once that current is inside a house, then it finds numerous paths destructively into electronics regardless of protectors. No protector can or claims to stop that current. Did you really think tiny parts inside will stop what three miles of sky could not? Others make that claim. Nothing stops a destructive surge. Anything that magic box might do is already done better inside appliances.

If that box magically makes energy disappear, then manufacturer spec numbers say so. Either a destructive current is diverted and safely absorbed outside the building. Or no effective protection exists.

I'm very aware of everything you stated. And my CONCERN, if any...is brown outs, which can be very damaging to components.

So...my question is more about how a modem works. I protect the modem by conditioning it's input...BUT, the modem then has a cat6 output which goes into a router I have.

Which makes more sense, to send the cat6 from the modem into the conditioner and then into the router...OR, send the cat6 from the modem output into the router and then from the router to the conditioner before it goes to...pick ONE item (CPU,PS3,DVR).

And my CONCERN, if any...is brown outs, which can be very damaging to components.

If anyone told you that, then they also said what is damaged by a brownout. And why. Nobody did for one simple reason. Junk science is more popular than reality. Sloundbytes are easier.

A simple concept. If they do not say why and do not provide numbers, then they are probably lying. No numbers is a classic symptom of junk science.

Tom MacIntyre demonstrates in "Motheboard Problem? Post Problem?" what we do routinely:
> We operate everything on an isolated variac, which means that I can
> control the voltage going into the unit I am working on from about
> 150 volts down to zero. This enables us to verify power regulation
> for over and under-voltage situations. A linear supply (many TV's)
> will start to lose its regulation from 100 volts down to maybe 90,
> and the set will shut off by 75 volts AC or so.
> Switching supplies (more and more TV's, and all monitors I've ever
> seen), on the other hand, are different. ... they can and will
> regulate with very low voltages on the AC line in; the best I've
> seen was a TV which didn't die until I turned the variac down to
> 37 VAC! A brownout wouldn't have even affected the picture on
> that set.

Do we routinely destroy our prototypes? Of course not. All electronics are required to work normally even when incandescent lamps dim to 50%. How often do you have brownouts that low? Then why are you worrying about brownouts? Because so many never demand the what, whys, and numbers. Because so many preach and blindly believe junk science.

Brownouts are potentially harmful to electric motors - ie refrigerator, air conditioner, dryer. So utilities maintain voltage. Or disconnect. IOW those who only promote lies and myths worry about frequent brownouts that do not even exist.

Meanwhile, we who design sometimes install circuits inside electronics to intentionally create brownouts on power up. A brownout can actually increase electronic life expectancy. How many hearsay artists mentioned that? I can easily list 30 reasons why brownouts are not harmful. But that only repeats the same point. Most fears about electricity are promoted by liars. People who know without numbers and without even learning how electricity works. All electronics work perfectly normal even when voltage is so low that incandescent bulbs are at 50% intensity - as even required by international design requirements generations ago.

What happens when voltage drops lower? To all electronics, that is a normal power off. So electronics simply stop working. If brownouts are destructive, then normal power off is also destructive. But again, the most important point. If he did not say why it is destructive - with numbers - then you had no business giving him any credibility. Please do not empower those who promote urban myths.

The conditioner does not even claim to do any protection. Surges that overwhelm superior protection already inside a modem will somehow be stopped by lesser and tiny protector parts inside that conditioner? Please. Read its numeric specs. The manufacturer does not even claim to do what you want that conditioner to do.Again, if it does that protection, then it says so with numbers.

Introduced was the solluton for modem proteciton. Ignore it only to spend tens or 100 times more money. And still only have the protection found inside that modem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not arguing, I agree. I just wanted a fancy nice power strip, that's why I bought the "power conditioner", that looks like a power strip. Even dumber is the the fact that it doesn't even have ethernet ports...they are phone jacks heheh

Brown out's do cause damage to motors, as you had mentioned...like the fan circuit in my DVR that runs 24/7 basically. Anyways, I'm not arguing.