To Buy or not to Buy....Your thoughts?

drewb67

I am hoping to get some insight from the numerous brilliant minds reading these forums [:)] Today I met a guy that after a long talk about some work related issues told me he had an older 2ch audio system that he had purchased in the early 90's that was taking up space in his basement storage room. I talked him into showing it to me and was surprised to see the following: 1pr Dunlavy SC-IV in a light oak finish, a Krell KSA-200s, a Krell MD-20, and a Audio Research LS5. He is interested in selling it all as a package and is waiting for me to make an offer but I honestly have no clue what it is all worth assuming it is in good condition. I only had limited time and couldn't listen to anything but cosmetically everything looked good. I'm just not familiar enough with the brands to make an educated offer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, value and any common issues with this equipment that I should look for.

Holy cow, I just looked up the Dunlavy's, and a review back in 1998 had them at a list price of about $6,000!

The Krell 200s listed for $7500!

The MD20 $9000 list!

The AR LS5 - $4500

Honestly, the guy has an investment of something like $27,000 in this equipment. I bet it is worth at least $5,000. If it were me, I would just offer him $2500 for everything as is.

• 4 weeks later...

After many weeks of negotiating I finally talked him into selling me the entire system. I got a pretty good deal on it all considering there are a few issues to be addressed. The tweeters will need new diaphrams, one of the toggle switchs on the preamp will need to be repaired or replaced and the amp will need to be gone over to diagnose an intermitent power issue. Everything was fully functional but real dirty and has since been cleaned thoughouly. Now the decision needs to be made about which peices to keep and which to sell or trade. Im leaning toward selling or trading the speakers in favor of some LaScalla's or Cornwalls ( I miss my Cornwalls and my wife tolerated their size alot better than these 6" 6" monsters, What was i thinking?!?!? lol) and the pre-amp for a newer and better one. In the meantime the hunt begins for new tweet's and a repair shop for the amp!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

post-39129-13819658901142_thumb.jpg

There is a shop very close to me by the name "Audio Alternative"(yeswehaveawebsite.com) that does repairs, im thinking about calling them for the amp and tackeling the speakers myself. Has anyone dealt with them ?

Yes, I have and the experience is not something I would like to repeat.