In need of some tips.

philnguy

Hi, my name is Philip and I will be joining the Klipsch community in due time (yay!) my girl friend works at futureshop so i get a fairly good discount (half off!) so money isnt really an issue on what i can get.
anyways my post is about my new setup are as follows:

Klipsch RF62 or klipsch RF82 - i dont know which one to get. im leaning on rf 62 just because it matches the rest but the rf 82 looks good its only $50 difference [:P]

klipsch RC62

klipsch RS42 they dont have the 62 or could i get RB61 to replace them or would that be wrong? :(

klipsch sw110b or sw112b

im in a pickle when it comes to the reciever, i dont see anything that matches the systems full potential so i might just have to get it retail somewhere else.
they do have the denon avr-3312ci there that looks pretty good, again i dont know if thats the reciever to go

sorry again that i do not know to much about setting up a system if someone can point me in the right direction that would be much much help, thank you in advance.

everything is on the www.futureshop.ca website

Welcome to the forum!

A few questions that will help us guide you to a great system:

Have you purchased any speakers yet? You mentioned buying the RF-62 because it matches, but what does that mean? Does it match what you already have or what you are planning on purchasing?

What size of a room will you be using? What's the square footage and ceiling height? Is it open to other rooms and what limitations does it pose as far as speaker placement?

What will you be using the system for? Home Theater, Gaming, Music, or a combination...What do you want your system to do?

Here are some generic answers to your specific questions:

RF-82 vs RF-62; Get the biggest speaker you can afford/will work in your space. The 82 is a bigger version of the 62. I've owned differenct generations of both speakers, and both speakers are very good. The RF-82 will provide a greater depth to the sound stage espescially in a big room. Both the 62 and 82 are timbre matched to go with the RC-62 center channel, so they both "match."

The RC-62 is a great center. It will work perfect with either of your tower choices.

The RS-42 is a dipole surround speaker. It will work just fine with the rest of your speakers. The RS-52 is a bigger version, but not necessary for good surround. If you listen to a lot of music in 5 channel, you might consider the RB-61, otherwise you want a surround speaker. The RS-62 has a larger tweeter than the 42 or 52 and is designed to be used with the RF-7 series.

The sw112 is a bigger sub. I would go for it. Subs make a big difference in HT.

The Denon has everything you could want. Greater than 100 watts per channel (that's plenty), 3-D and network capable. Lastly, it has pre-outs if you wanted to add more power via external amps in the future.

All-in-all, you've got a pretty good handle on a great system.

cornfedksboy - Thanks alot, I am getting the speakers just because I have a chance of getting them for a discounted price.

My setup will be in my room space so im most likely use a 2.1 set-up for the time being until I move out and have my own space.

i just wanted to know what speakers matches with what so that when I am ready to set up my actual 5.1 or 7.1 setup I can.

I think I might just get both the rs-42 and the rb-61 and create a 7.1 system. My main use for these speakers will be for music and gaming for the time being again until I move out and have my own place, I wont be watching to much movies to much though.

Well, for a 2.1 bedroom set-up, I would go for the RF-62, RC-62, and sw110 due to space constraints and because your parents/roommates may not appreciate the "thumping" bass sound. That line-up would give you plenty of sound for the space and would be slightly less constrictive. On the other hand, you mentioned that this was a temporary space until you get your own place. Planning ahead is a good move, and in a medium to large sized space I would prefer the 82s and the 12" sub. While you may not have a difference between the two in a small bedroom, the output in a living room will be quite noticeable. So long as you can live with the sheer size of the 82s and 112 in your bedroom, that would be an excellent choice!

i would suggest rf82s rc62 rs52 and then the rb61s when you go to 7.1, id take the best that the shop offers at 50% off :) from looking around previously the rs52 is suppose to offer a worthwhile upgrade over the rs42 and the 62 offers a small upgrade over the 52

thanks everyone you guys have been a great help. i am so amped for my new system i cannot wait to get my hands on them [H]. Oh and my parents wont mind the loud bass...muahahaha.

for the rs-52 i will most likely have to shop around for that later. i will keep you guys updated on my purchase.

given equal performance, price and usibility, i would choose the HK over the denon. Denon is one of my favorite brands and would be the second choice in this battle. Pioneer i never really consider, of the reasearch ive done they have a lot of bells and whistles. I always concern myself more with power quality and capabilities as well as tuning availabailities for each channel. I bouught a rotel 2 channel receiver without HDMI knowing i have a tv with hdmi knowing that i could get a simple solution to make things works, but i did it for the power and the quality!

Your setup is gonna be nice btw. Get the rf-82's and dont look back!

what do you guys think the HK 7550HD,Pioneer SC-1525-K, or the Denon Avr-3312ci for reciever? The denon is stronger but I know how good HK isbut i dont know if pioneer is good enough match for the klipsch. Thanks in advance.

Those are ALL good receivers. The HK specs list it out as the lowest watts per channel, but HK generally under-rates it's power when compared to other brands as it holds it to tighter specs. The Pioneer Elite series is something I don't have alot of experience with, but there are some fans of that avr out there. Price being equal, the HK is a sweet set-up and the way I would go, but all three of those would work fantastic with your set-up for years to come. If you have the opportunity, play with the three receivers hooked up to some RF-82s and see which one you prefer for sound. Again, you are looking at the right gear to make a happy system, so it's really up to your taste!

If I am not mistaken; Big Cliff got an HK a couple months back.

(I think it was the 7550; His is rated at 80wpc).

You might PM him and ask him how he likes it.

I know I love my older HK.... [:D]

BTW; do not let the watt ratings fool you. My 75wpc HK has more power than my 100wpc Onkyo did.

• 3 months later...

I work at Futureshop Victoria..... Don't be posting employee prices online :P

I've got the RF-82s. Definitely worth it. Later pick up the RC-62 (online only) and RS-42's for rears.

if you want 7.1 get the RB-61's for surround backs......

Check quickly if her store has any Velodyne 12"s or 15"s in stock!! They've gone on clearance and have gone really cheap! I've got the 15 and loooove it! So much that I'm tempted to buy a second one :P

As far as receiver goes, check out the Pioneer SC-1525, that went on clearance recently too, so look for a dirty deal on that as well... My boss goes crazy with clearance and does stuff way below cost.