Emotiva Owners PICS!

BluBitRates

I am considering an emotiva package (xpa-5 and umc-1) i have my pros and cons and am trying to make a decision before the sale ends . My first major con is how i do not like lights in my dark theater room. How do you guys feel about the brightness of the front leds on these two components?

Can people with emotiva gear please post pictures of their components in a dark room? That would help.

Also i know seperates are king but my theater room is relatively small (16 x 10 i think, theater on small wall) and i have had a few ear surgerys recently so i do not nor will never listen at ear bleeding levels. Will this system be overkill for me?

The major pros for me are that it is new equipment with a 5 year warranty, and although money is pretty darn tight for me right now this gear is "Affordable".

Do you think i will be kicking myself when the christmas sale comes around?

Quit worrying about the lights... that should be the least of your worries. Focus your stamina to endure the trial and error period that awaits you! The amp will be awesome, but you will go back and forth on the UMC for the entire month and will likely watch your return window while contemplating whether to return or not (at least I did). However, if you give it some time and patience to learn how it operates -- you will be happy (probably really happy).

You hit the summary -- rest assured with the warranty, price and the coupon for the next gen. I wouldn't have considered (or even known about Emotiva) unless for the people on this forum... and now am happy with my set up (UMC w/ UPA7).

Back to the original concern -- you don't want a completely dark room anyways. Put in some type of ambient light source and then the blue lights will be minimal. If you had the McIntosh blue lights you would probably be happy to show them off!

• Moderators

Can people with emotiva gear please post pictures of their components in a dark room? That would help.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how much that will actually help you. When the lights go completely black and your screen is lit up and your eyes are fixed on the image and your ears are immersed into the action, my guess is your eyes will not be drawn to those blue lights.

According to the UMC-1 manual on pg 26, it says "The DIM button dims the display lights on your UMC-1. It has 10 settings that allow you to adjust the brightness to your liking or turn the display lights off completely."

According to the XPA-5 manual on pg 12, it says, "Note: The back panel of each amplifier has an LED Status Selector which can turn the blue LEDs off."

Problem solved?

post-27215-13819657803702_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys your responses are helping. Yeah youthman that does put my mind at ease that the amp status lights can be dimmed. I had an APC j15 power conditioner where the front blue led around the power button would not dim, it was really bright and distracting during a movie. I have a 52'' lcd and that leaves room for distraction (no upgrade money for a long time on the tv).

Anyone else feel like they should have returned their umc-1 when they had the chance? I am a 24 year old home theater enthusiast so i am sure i can wrap my head around the learning curve but in the end it does have to function right. Would still like some pictures if you guys have them

i have the package you are looking for and i will say that the blue power button lights are bright and non-dimmable. My idea as of like 2 days ago thinking about it is that ill make something, a cover with magnets so it can be taken off to hide the blue light. There you go, problem solved :) I just dont know if the bezel is magnetic or if its aluminum...

To be honest, the package you are looking at especially with the sale is a great value for performance. The fact that you dim/shut off status lights and what not is a great perk and tolerating the blue lights or working around them is a simple and easy solution. I'd say go for it!

Indeed, go for it. I've had mine one night and it seems like good stuff. The XPA-5 is a killer and IMHO is what makes the system! There has to be a million ways to cover that power light, but so far for me it hasn't been a big deal for me. I haven't looked, but maybe it can be disconnected from the back side? Attached is a picture with the UMC1 dimmed down. I will tell what drives me crazy is the BRIGHT blue LED on my computer you see to the far left. It's days are numbered and the next time that case comes off the wire is getting pulled! The Emotiva gear however has a soft blue which I think makes it OK. But, if you like it ultra dark they would be super easy to cover. Heck, even black tape if its always dark (j/k, that stuff is sticky).

In my pic left to right: Computer LED, Wii LED, UMC1, XPA5, and last is green cable modem lights. Note that the XPA-5 channel lights are so dim they're not worth turnning off. I kinda like them.

post-41681-13819657813862_thumb.jpg

Five months ago I never had heard of Emotiva and their products. This forum has been invaluable to me in expanding my knowledge as well as a go to with questions that I have.

Based on many comments read here on the forum, I became interested in the UMC-1 and the amplifiers. When I decided to update my system from a traditional two channel for listening to music to having the capability of having a Home Theatre expeirence. I looked at Denon, Harmen Karden, Marantaz, NAD and others. I compared several units specs that I had found and compared to the UMC-1, hands down the UMC-1 stood out based on its features/specs, plus the cost.

The 30 day look, made the decision a no brainer for me, as I could always send it back, if it turned out to have been over hyped. Bottomline I purchased my UMC-1 "B" model, saved $100, final price was $599, and it was sent with all the updates loaded. FedEx delivered it within three days, took me roughly 10 minutes to hookup. Today approx, two months later, it still exceeds my expectations, the HDTV picture seems to be improved, with a sharper and better contrast view. The sound is outstanding, currently using a pair of Forte II's. In music mode, OMG, so clean and clear yet with the warm sound I so enjoy. Purchased the XPA-5 under the current July 4 Sale, received this past Monday, it has only made the UMC-1 perform even better, had been using my old 2-channel ADcom 200 watt Amp. Tonight, listen to B.B. King the performance was so rich and sweet.

I do not have an issue with the Blue lights, especially as they are dimmable on the UMC, I do agress the power button is brigther, but I am not motivated to cover it. Rather I feel it adds a "rich" look to my system. Cannot believe I paid just under $1,400 for the UMC-1 & XPA-5. It sounds as good if not better than systems I have heard that cost at least three or four times that amount.

I have no hesitation in reccomending you give it a try. Again, if it doesn't make your "ear" happy you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. You also may want to check out their Interconnects which also our on sale. The workmanship and build is impressive, especially buying at the sale price. Otherwise Monoprice is the place.

Good luck. Jeff

Yeah that interface does look fine and "new". Another dislike is that clickety click remote, click click click... Ha i know i am nitpicking but i always mess with stuff during movies and the added clicking will be added annoyance to people around me. Yeah those blue lights really bother me, when ever i tried to think up a way to cover the blue light on the j15 i could never come up with something not cheesy. The magnet idea is good but not sure that is a good idea as it may mess with some internal components (may be an idea for the emotiva lounge). Also if you disconnect the light it will void warranty. I am glad the sale is going on for a while longer giving me more time to think about this. Also a little angry about the umc not having balanced inputs. They make the xpa with them but not the umc???? The 40% upgrade coupon is the only thing making me consider the umc, although i wish there were other options out there that were affordable

I think the 40% deal emotive came up with is pure gold. Seems like every single person debating a UMC 1 purchase and posting in this forum brings that up as a big reason for buying. I just wonder what the actual "upgrade" will be. What changes will emetic make to the next pre/pro? When will it be here? Onkyo updates every year it seems. Will emotiva's upgrade be soon? Does that 40% off coupon restrict u to the next version only? Seems like a can't miss deal if you like their product.

Indeed. What I worry about is Emotiva being bought out which could render the 40% useless under new management. In the end the 40% helps, but shouldn't be the cliff hanger in your decision. I look at the 40% as a bonus if it ever happens, and at $629 I think it's still priced OK.

Yeah, the clicky remote does kinda suck with the hard/loud clicks, but I usually have it up so loud that you can't hear the clicks. Personnaly I just don't like the clicky feel however I will probably replace with a Harmony remote of some type eventually. As you can see I didn't buy it for the remote either. :)

2 cents...

Yeah that interface does look fine and "new". Another dislike is that clickety click remote, click click click... Ha i know i am nitpicking but i always mess with stuff during movies and the added clicking will be added annoyance to people around me. Yeah those blue lights really bother me, when ever i tried to think up a way to cover the blue light on the j15 i could never come up with something not cheesy. The magnet idea is good but not sure that is a good idea as it may mess with some internal components (may be an idea for the emotiva lounge). Also if you disconnect the light it will void warranty. I am glad the sale is going on for a while longer giving me more time to think about this. Also a little angry about the umc not having balanced inputs. They make the xpa with them but not the umc???? The 40% upgrade coupon is the only thing making me consider the umc, although i wish there were other options out there that were affordable

XPA-5 is not balanced amp anyways, only balanced amp Emotiva sell now is XPA-1.

I can also confirm that blue power buttons are too bright. Otherwise UMC-1 is quite good for movies and XPA-5 does it's job.

For UMC1 -- Does anyone know why I can't hear sound from all 7 channels when I am in "All Stereo" mode? I hear 7 channels n PLIIx, etc, but not in "All Stereo".

Lonnie removed support for that with one of more recent firmware updates.

For UMC1 -- Does anyone know why I can't hear sound from all 7 channels when I am in "All Stereo" mode? I hear 7 channels n PLIIx, etc, but not in "All Stereo".

Lonnie removed support for that with one of more recent firmware updates.

What do you mean by "removed support"? Does this mean that the last firmware update will fix the issue?

Nothing to 'fix' as it is working as intended. UMC-1 does not do all channel stereo for now;

Try PL or other modes

Odd... why include it in the first place if it isn't going to be put into action??? Thanks for following up...

Well i picked up two upa-5s and a umc-1 one today. The previous owner applied some sort of round sticky black cover over the glowing "E" on front so i guess that solves that problem. Hopefully wont leave a mark when it comes off but i dont think it will (if i ever take them off). Either my brother or parents will get the second upa-5. This saved me a boatload of cash from buying the xpa-5 and umc new, i hooked it up already and the upa-5 sound great. The umc remote was not working though and i suspect it needs new batteries. Can i find this kind at meijer or do i need to order some? I am sure i will have more questions but for now i am happy to finally be in nnnnthe world of seperates. By the way the upa-5 is no slouch it is big and it is heavy!