UPA-2 should i?

CHASLS2

You guys think a UPA-2 would be a good choice for my RF7 system? I could drive both RF7 mains with the UPA-2 and let the Pioneer 1120k reciever handle the RC7 and RS7's.

Just added a Sunfire true sub that really has added a huge bang to my system.

I get cable thru the wall and only get stereo sound from the two fronts, no sound from the center or rears. This will be for my DVD and Bluray movies, as that is when my RF7 system really comes alive. Most OTA- HD is also in 5.1 so a amp will help with that as well. The RF7 really do nothing with cable thru the wall.

if your only running stereo itll be a slight upgrade vs the receiver and then 5 channel will be a small lift to help boost up the avr channels

upa2 at 350

xpa3 at 630

xpa2 at 720

my vote goes to the xpa2 with no second thoughts if you plan on upgrading and want the rf7s to really come alive

on the other note the xpa3 makes a great holdover point and give you the ability to put it on your center as well, i did this for a shortime until i added more speakers and went the 2/5 route, its a step behind the xpa2 but if you dont plan on adding amps to the rest of the system or do watch alot of movies and have the ability to let the avr power the rears this makes a very good choice also

the only way time id probably add a upa2 is if i had upa1s up front and needed something for the rears, or had a upa5 and needed another 2 channels and didnt want to take the time to find a upa7

You guys think a UPA-2 would be a good choice for my RF7 system?

Charles,

I had a UPA-2 for a short while and was not that impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, for its size and weight it sounded fine but I think it would have more impact with a nice pair of bookshelf speakers or some smaller towers. The RF-7's like some brute and the UPA-2 just does not have it, IMO.

I think you should go check out this Adcom beast and run your front soundstage with it.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/2423706127.html

Or, check out this 2-channel Adcom in your neck of the woods. Offer seller $435.00 and see if he bites.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ele/2425754764.html

Maybe others will chime in about Adcom + Klipsch RF-7 and the pros/cons.

Just added a Sunfire true sub that really has added a huge bang to my system.

That is really great to hear. Remember, don't touch that gain knob on the Sunfire.[li] It will get LOUD, FAST.

Bill

• Moderators

I'm a firm believer in figuring out what you want, saving up for it and then being patient to find a good deal on it. In my earlier years (ok I'm not really that old), I would buy something that would "work" only to find myself shortly down the road selling it and getting what I originally wanted instead. Money flushed down the drain.

I'm not saying the UPA isn't right for your setup, I'm just saying do your homework, ask around etc and then determine what would be best and fit within your budget.

My first (and last until it breaks) is the amp in my signature. I have no doubt that I am lacking anything in the area of clarity, power or headroom from my amp. I have no urges, desires, or inclination to even look for another amp. I will drive it until it gives up it's life. I will provide it a proper memorial service and burial and begin looking for a replacement at that time. [;)]

The seller of the Adcon GFA5500 in New Port Richet still has the unti. Doing searches i get very little reviews on this unit and never hear much about them.

Based on 57 owner reviews, I say a solid "B"(84%) grade is pretty good.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/adcom/gfa-5500/prd_116267_1583crx.aspx

Very favorable reviews here for the 5500 and 5503.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_3_3/v3n3k.html

Bill

Seems kinda pricey for such a old amp.

Last GFA-5500 sold on Audiogon for $530.00 in Nov. 2010 and last GFA-5503 sold for $600.00 in Jan. 2011. Both Adcoms on c-list for sale now are priced near market value, IMO.

The seller does not want to demo the amp so i am gonna pass.

I will steer you this way then to a much sweeter sounding amp that I personally can attest to.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/150637/1561467.aspx#1561467

Bill

the xpa-5 does a great job of powering the 7's. I turned my umc-1 up to like 45 on the vol and it was loud, clean, clear and utterly stupidly accurate, it was amazing. I honestly dont feel the upa-2 would feed the beast enough. The xpa-5 would be a wonderful addition if your are seriously considering the xpa-2 since price is in the same ballpark, itll help your entire system come alive. You may not have headroom with the xpa-5 or xpa-3 but if you are peaking out the 7's you are cranking loud loud loud. You could actually biamp the 7's with the xpa-5 and use the 5th channel for the center, if worse came to worse and for some reason you were running out of juice.

Since he lives about 6 miles from me i wanted him to bring the amp over and let me hook up to my system, he just acted like it was too much trouble. Plus i don't feel safe paying that kind of money for a old ,used amp. I think Adcom is no longer around anyway. I also don't want to buy a used amp from someone out of state and deal with shipping. I want a new amp with a warranty if something goes wrong i can send it back.

EMO seems to be the best deal going. So maybe a XPA-3? I wanted to try the UPA-2 since it was smaller and cost less.

xpa-3 is a bigger unit, same footprint as the xpa-2 and xpa-5. UPA-2 just isnt owrth it for a significant upgrade in your position. if you had rf-82's i'd say that it might be worth it but you dont. The price difference is obviously considerable between the upa-2 and xpa-3, best bang for the buck and ability to upgrade like i said before is the xpa-5, it offers the most options for your setup depending on how you want things worked. $799 - XPA-5, $629 - XPA-3, $349 - UPA-2. Everything depends on your needs atm and your future needs, it may be worth it wait to get what you actually want.

Adcom is still around btw http://www.adcom-usa.com/

I want a new amp with a warranty if something goes wrong i can send it back.

I can definitely appreciate that. New with warranty is always good.

Plus i don't feel safe paying that kind of money for a old ,used amp.

My experience with used amps has been great though. I have owned 18 used amps in the last 4 years and only (2) have needed minor repairs. I have spent no more than $200.00 in total repairs. The average age of them is 14 years old.

Since he lives about 6 miles from me i wanted him to bring the amp over and let me hook up to my system, he just acted like it was too much trouble.

Pretty rotten of the seller not to let you demo the amp with your setup, being that you are almost neighbors.

Bill