Dipole surround placement in 9.1 (DSX)

robc1976

Hey guys,

I need some opinions on the placement of My RS-52II Dipole surrounds (Link below for discription). I basically have a lot of options....I currently have the on ball mounts I can swivel them slightly and have the angled toward the listening position not angled down totally level and about 3Ft behind MLP (Figure 1 is my current position). My listening position is a 3 seat stadium seating and I have them angled towards the left & right shoulder of the middle chair. The area behind the listening position is not used much so I am trying to get the best sound near my listening position. The reason I am confused is I have NEVER used bipole...only direct radiating and always had the sound going above my MLP and with these at 90 degress the sound will go near the front of the soundstage instead of directly over the top of the MLP, and behind me wich is okay. I was just wondering if surround sound is really supposed to go in front of your MLP. My question is wich is better placement? If I where to keep Figure 1 placement is it frowned upon to angle these slightly downwards towards the listening position?

RS-52II Discription

http://www.klipsch.com/rs-52-ii-surround-speaker

Figure 1: (Current placement)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Position of RS-52II speakers:

Posted Image

Figure 2: (Alternate placement)

Posted Image

So in the diagram it shows a bipole speaker and it has sound in basically a circle in front of it, so there is no gap between the right and left side of the speaker. So if I where to put the center of the speaker at the midle of MLP it would have sound in front and back of the MLP?? What I am trying to figure out is this: When I place a Bipole on the wall flat, it shoots sound at a angle from the left/right side via a tweeter and mid range woofer, so if I place the speaker flat on the wall and the center of the speaker is at my MLP it will shoot sound in front ad in back correct?

JasonJcarney: Noticed you have a 64II center...how do you like it and what did you have before?? Trying to see what the difference will be between a 62II and a 64II. You also have the sub I just got to LOL!! have a replacement amp on the way....how does the sub perform...mine I havent heard yet LOL!

I love the rc 64ii. ... Best speaker I own. I came from the rc52ii though so I never heard the 62ii.

I am getting one VERY soon.

Personally I have owned all 3 (rc-52, rc-62 and the rc-64ii)

the latter of each are all huge upgrades. The 52 to me couldn’t keep up very

well. The 62 keeps up pretty good and is a great speaker but the 64 is a different

level of sound compared to all the reference centers I have owned. (I also had

the RVX-42)

I love the rc 64ii. ... Best speaker I own. I came from the rc52ii though so I never heard the 62ii.

I am getting one VERY soon.

Personally I have owned all 3 (rc-52, rc-62 and the rc-64ii) the latter of each are all huge upgrades. The 52 to me couldn’t keep up very well. The 62 keeps up pretty good and is a great speaker but the 64 is a different level of sound compared to all the reference centers I have owned. (I also had the RVX-42)

Well then I must have it, I want it to expand my center a bit since my fronts are pretty far apart.

• Moderators

The 52 to me couldn’t keep up very
well. The 62 keeps up pretty good and is a great speaker but the 64 is a different
level of sound compared to all the reference centers I have owned.

Totally agree with your assessement. [Y]

I am also this weekend upgrading the wides...I was going to upgrade them to RF-62II or RF-82II haven't decided yet...any opinions?

Well, you have a TON of speakers. There isn't a whole lot of discrete information sent to front high, front wide, or rear channels so you don't need a huge speaker to present the information. The RF-42s should work great. If it were me though, I'd keed the 42s and move them to the rear as you already have such a mighty front soundstage. If you don't have room for them then based on your pic I'd trade them out for some big bookshelves and locate them on the bar.