Are Bipoles good surrounds or overrated??

robc1976

A little more power than the rc-62ii needs but overpowering good speakers is just fine. That is a great amp to buy. Nothing like getting a new amp with a warranty. I just got a upa-5 and love the build quality.

I am upgradiing to a RC64II this week. I have always set the crossovers to 80- Htz on Audyssey and set speakers to small...is this waht you guys suggest?

yep i suggest that. You will still get all of your hd codecs with an amp. Well as long as you are breaking out the wallet how about some rf-7ii?

A little more power than the rc-62ii needs but overpowering good speakers is just fine. That is a great amp to buy. Nothing like getting a new amp with a warranty. I just got a upa-5 and love the build quality.

I am upgradiing to a RC64II this week. I have always set the crossovers to 80- Htz on Audyssey and set speakers to small...is this waht you guys suggest?

yep i suggest that. You will still get all of your hd codecs with an amp. Well as long as you are breaking out the wallet how about some rf-7ii?

LOL!! I probally will soon.

1309466501.jpg

This picture from the onkyo manual seems to show a more "surround" feel from using bookshelves or floor standers as surrounds and not the designated RS speakers. I have never used the RS so I have no actual experience with how they sound.

It shows the directional speakers pointing at the listener. With directional speakers you will get directional sound. The bipoles will actually reflect off the walls and give you a multitude of additional surround sound. For anyone in Kansas land that is questioning surrounds vs. bookshelves, I extend an open invite. I have two comparable systems, one using bookshelves and one using bipoles. There's really no comparison in a 5.1 system...the bipoles are better!

I have three Home Theaters and in the two where there are multiple LPs (i.e., no "sweet spot") and both 5.1, we prefer the WDST speakers as side surrounds; But in our Main Home Theater (listed below) there is only one sweet spot and I prefer towers all of the way around {EDIT: RB-75s are mini towers [;)]} instead of the RS line of speakers in a 7.1 configuration.
Fwiw, Multichannel Music sounds better, and with movies having the rear channels matrixed into 4 channels, with sound being directed towards the LP instead of having 2 points where sound is being sprayed sounds more precise, imo.
Btw, in the first posted example of speaker placement on page one there are multiple LPs with dipoles on the side and in the last 2 examples there appears to be only one LP and they imply direct radiating speakers in the drawings.