Hooked up Amp now Sub Is not Working

jhvenier

I hooked up a Crown XLS 402 amp thru the Preouts of my Denon AVR 3805. I made sure to run the RCA plugged wires to a balanced/unbalanced converter and then XLR cables to the Crown. I ran my bi-wired cables from the 2-channel Crown amp to my RF-83's. Now my Problem.... My sub is not working, even though the power is on. There seems to be hardly no bass also from my RF-83's....Am I missing something in the Denon set up? Now granted I am not a pro by any means and am asking for desperate help here, I am also not a pro when it comes to programming or setting up the Denon, and actually have no clue what some of the set up items are or do....Any help would be wonderful. Thanks

In your setup menu, are your 83's set to small? Did you answer "yes" when speaker setup menu asked if you are using sub? If your mains are set to small and you answered "no" to sub, that may be your problems.

Since you mentioned bi-wiring, did you remove the jumpers from the 83's terminals? Why not just run left/right preouts to your Crown amp and out to your 83's speaker terminals. You said you are not a pro so don't do the bi-wiring thing and use the traditional method.

Bill

Thanks for the reasponse William...

No my 83's are set to large. I did remove the jumpers. I may have to check to make sure the sub is set to yes, I believe it is. I did run left/rights out of the preouts on the Denon to the Crown inputs. From the Crown left and right channels I ran to the speakers. I am not a pro in the audio world but my wiring capabilities are very good. I made sure to use #12 sheathed speaker wire. I split the sheath about 3-4 inches so I had my 2 individual jacketed conductors. I made sure to strip back the insulation jacket to assure I had enough but not too much exposed copper wire to connect my quick lock bananna clips. I used additional shrink tubing over the 2 individual conductor jacket (just for assurance) from where I split it out up and into the bananna plug "barrel". I also used a larger shrink tube onto the original sheath and then over the split out area and onto the individual conductor sheath/smaller shrink tube covering, this seems to incorporate a solid more rigid area where it is split out. For the bi-wire I ran ran 2 seperate cables consisting of 4 individual conductors. 2 - (+) and 2 - (-) for the top and bottom bi connections for the 83's. At the other end I ran the 2 (+) twisted together and put into 1 - Bananna plug (with the whole split out / shrink tubing thing) and then did the same for the 2 - (-) conncetions to form 1 - (+) and 1 - (-) so I could plug the banannas into the + and - of one channel of the amp, and the same for the other speaker / amp channel.

I did forget one question, and I didnt think this was a concern but, by using the amp (2-channel) for my Front L and R, it wouldnt affect the sub running from the Denon would it?

It should not matter.

I suspect you have something in set up wrong as mentioned.

I would check your crossover settings.

Also; "large" mains could be the culprit. (Try setting to small and crossing at 80 hz for starters).

On some amps and receivers setting the speakers as large disables the sub for all except LFE stuff. That means you only get sub when you watch Dolby stuff etc. On my Integra receivers when I say Full range, it happens to me. When I set a size, even 45 Hz, the woofer starts working even when in regular stereo.

You know, funny you mentioned this. Last night I went thru everything, everything seemed as good as my understanding would let it. I have a Sunfire MkII sub and when I turned down the amp, almost to its lowest setting and then turned up the Denon, the sub was working. I just dont seem to respond in parallel with the Crown. So all in all, so far I have an amp that, if I want to hear my sub, can barely turn up enough to make a difference or else the increase in power to the 83's stomp all over the Sunfire. I like the effects of the amp, the signal seems so much more brilliant and clean. OK, my next question is, what do I do to resolve this?

I just dont seem to respond in parallel with the Crown.

Have you disabled the crossover in the Sunfire? Where is your sub placed in respect to your main speakers. If not in the same plane, try adjusting the phase on the Sunfire. Make sure the volume on the Sunfire is even on and let the Denon be your primary volume control on the sub. Have you used the auto setup in the Denon or manually set up with an spl meter?

Bill

Before hooking up the Crown amp, did you have the fronts (RF-83) set to Large in the Denon? Is this used as a 2 channel system? Is the sub not working in all modes ie Direct/2channel vs Surround modes? I believe there are two different locations you need to set in the Denon. One is for 2 channel audio and the other is for surround. Check to make sure you have Subwoofer-yes in both locations in the Denon menu if this is a multichannel (surround) system.

I have tried adjusting the phase. I have not tried to disable the corssover in Sunfire, I may have to figure out how to do that. I manually set up the denon, I dont have a mic to do the auto. I do use the Denon as the primary volume control, after I set the controls on the Crown.The fronts were set to large before I hooked up the amp. The amp is a two channel system. I will have to check the Denon for a 2 channel setting....Thanks Everyone.

You know, funny you mentioned this. Last night I went thru everything, everything seemed as good as my understanding would let it. I have a Sunfire MkII sub and when I turned down the amp, almost to its lowest setting and then turned up the Denon, the sub was working. I just dont seem to respond in parallel with the Crown. So all in all, so far I have an amp that, if I want to hear my sub, can barely turn up enough to make a difference or else the increase in power to the 83's stomp all over the Sunfire. I like the effects of the amp, the signal seems so much more brilliant and clean. OK, my next question is, what do I do to resolve this?

Sounds like the sub is working. I think you just need to level match the Denon output for the sub to the Crown amp. I think if you press the enter button on the Denon remote it will pull up the trim levels so you can adjust them. Im not sure if the auto cal feature works when using an external amp. If not you may need to get an SPL meter to level match the output from the Crown and Denon amp.