Directv DVR Freezing

kde

Anyone else having recent trouble with their Directv DVR freezing? Several times a day mine freezes for 30 seconds... and then resumes after ~30 seconds. Sometimes it locks up and I have to hit the red rest button (missed a few suppossed to be recorded shows).

For what it's worth - my model is an HR 21.

• Moderators

Dish network here and no DVR for me, only my daughter has one in her room. I know it's not what your talking about but it was strange you put this tonight, we usually never have a problem until the weather is really bad.

My mother stays here during the day and she watches TV and for some reason it was acting strange today, the guide wouldn't update and the pic would start to go to the little square pixel like when really bad weather is here and go out and come back on, sometimes for 30 seconds. This went on for a few hours today, could satellite problems be the cause throwing off the DVR, and do both companies use the same satellites ?

kde,

I had that happen with mine a few years back. It got progressively worse. I called Dtv and they walked me through a few fix attempts. It turned out for me that the hard drive was shot, I needed a new receiver. They sent me a free one, just had to pay shipping, which was $20 I think. The bad part was losing all the movies and stuff I had recorded. Good luck.

Sounds like the DVR hardware... Good luck working your way through the maze of Directv recorded voices before you talk to a "real" person.

I just start yelling and swearing at the recording and usually get to someone...actually for technical issues its usually a little easier.

Sounds like the DVR hardware... Good luck working your way through the maze of Directv recorded voices before you talk to a "real" person.

I just start yelling and swearing at the recording and usually get to someone...actually for technical issues its usually a little easier.

Here's the way I found works the best; once you get to the first human simply ask for "customer retention". The CSR will ask why and just politely state that you wish to resolve your issue with "customer retention". Trust me, those folks have much more power to resolve issues.

Little known fact: DTV uses a system called 'hearts'. The longer you have been a customer, the higher your bill and if you use auto pay for your bill will add 'hearts' to your status as a customer. The max is 5. Customer retention uses the heart score as authority to offer freebies (programming for a few months, free or reduced cost hardware upgrades, etc).

If you like to play with new features and learn a LOT about DirecTv consider joining the Cutting Edge program. Cutting Edge

More info here: DBS Talk

I decided to try the easy route and simply email DTV instead of dealing with the phone. Not sure if tis is purely coincidence but since I had them look into my situation -- the DVR has been working better. I would think that I qualify for one of their better customers -- they did say in an email that 'there top engineers were working my issue" (JOKING -- they did say this, but joking that I believe it).

I probably will call in when I watch some of my recorded shows and ask for a newer model. I'm running the HR-21.

Good luck. I just called them today in regard to my mother's system. Mom had an issue with the new TV we got her, older D-11 DTV receiver and getting the remote to recognize both. Mom ended up with a completely new install with required dish and HD receiver at ZERO cost and free HD for two years.

Each person has their own experiences but I LOVE DirecTv.

Here's the way I found works the best; once you get to the first human simply ask for "customer retention". The CSR will ask why and just politely state that you wish to resolve your issue with "customer retention". Trust me, those folks have much more power to resolve issues.

Little known fact: DTV uses a system called 'hearts'. The longer you have been a customer, the higher your bill and if you use auto pay for your bill will add 'hearts' to your status as a customer. The max is 5. Customer retention uses the heart score as authority to offer freebies (programming for a few months, free or reduced cost hardware upgrades, etc).

If you like to play with new features and learn a LOT about DirecTv consider joining the Cutting Edge program. Cutting Edge

More info here: DBS Talk
I will agree with this one... the "customer retention" route often times can help you much faster that going the other path.