New La Scala owner ?s

taylor

Hi all,

Soundog said this is the place if its Klipsch and he was right. Nice to have a product specific forum. Well I just picked up a pair of LSs and have the regular newbies questions to ask. Firstly, I would like to know their age but I couldnt get the "decoder" page to load. They are the black models with the id LS BB (basic black?) 20T552/3 and AA xo. They are in excellent condition except for some minor scrapes and holes from eyelets(ceiling hanging) They have square magnet woofers (alnico?) and everything is clean and shiney. They sound wonderful. This is my first pair of horns and so far, after listening in my garage, with an old Hafler dh200 and a diskman, Im pretty impressed! Thanks for any advise/info/comments.

Taylor

I can't find my decoder ring. T is 1978 or 1979. those are good years. You should have squawkers with solder terminals and the Type AA network is one of the best. After you've listened to them for about a year through good electronics, look at tweaking them. One of the only things I'd do now is to remove one of the diodes of the KLiP circuit from the aluminum "L" to disable the KLiP. This assumes you will be prudent and not let your drunk college buddies crank the volume too high. The KLiP circuit is to protect the tweeters from monster power amps. It "clips" off the HF signals and causes lots of harshness at high volume. Below about 2 watts to the tweeter, it does nothing.

Be warned, if you disable the KLiP circuit and over-power the tweeter you're looking at a $75 repair.

BB is Birch Black.

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 04-29-2002 at 09:27 PM

Taylor,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I have a used pair of LaScalas headin my way in a few days, myself!!!

If your scalawags were built in the years John said, then look on the back edges of the speaker...should be one or more 1 or 2-letter codes stamped in (this is not part of the stamped-in serial number but is on one of the side upper rear edges)...these codes may not be stamped into the edge very deeply!!! you may have to look hard for them!! Let me know what the codes are and I may be able to tell you who built and sanded them! Let's hope it was Jay who built them and Frances Hale who sanded them Smile.gif they were the best for LaScalas back then!!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Thanks for the info. I found a two character stamp on the back: EM on one and RM on the other.I also noticed what appears to be pre-drilled holes on the opposite side of the XO. Was this plate common to another model which had a XO mounted there or was something removed that was stock?

Taylor

I see you found your way from the asylum to here. Welcome.

The vast majority of posters here are very helpful - some go way out of their way to help. They are also very supportive and encouraging. I built my whole system with help and guidance from this site, Never would have been able to do it without their hwlp. If its Klipsch - this is the place!

Except for an occasional judgemental moron who out of his own insecurity has to take pot shots. But I think the Asylum has a few more of those "I know it all - Your opinion stinks - Mine is way better" types.

The P trap cut out is a common Khorn/LaScala tweek. If you here any fuzziness in the upper range you may want to consider it.

Same with any evidence in ringing on the part of the midrange horns. A lot about dynamating or rope caulking them to dampen the ringing can be found here. My Khorns have plastic horns so I don't need it but I did on my center channel horns but my surrounds (LaScalas) don't seem to need it. Although I might do it some day anyway.

Feel free to discribe any problem or ask any question although you might first perform a search = whatever's on your mind probably has already been discused in detail but perhaps not because the arcieves get purged occasionally. Wish some of it could be perserved as FAQs.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems