1981 Heresy speaker maintenance

jwash

I live in the Los Angeles area and I would like to have somebody give my 1981 speakers a go through and do any maintenance or upgrades that might be needed. I do not have the technical ability to do this - so I am looking for somebody that I can pay to assist me in getting this done. Does anybody know somebody that can do the maintenance?

As silversport said.

Also, things you can do at home and require no "technical" skills.

Remove the backs, there are braces on which the back panel fits. Make sure there are no "gaps". If there are, you can use caulk or "bondo" to seal them.

Look at the braces on which the motor board is set. Same thing. No gaps.

Use speaker gasket tape (parts express) and place that tape on the rear brace between the panel and the brace. Make sure there are no gaps.

Remove the drivers, and use some "woodworker glue" and lay a "bead" of glue on each seam where the cabinet panels join, and on the inside where the braces join to the panels. Take your time and do one side at a time, allowing it to set while in a horizontal position.

Unscrew the midrange driver (K-55). Between the horn and the driver is a gasket, remove it and replace it. Bob also has those if you cannot find a suitable rubber gasket that can be trimmed at the local hardware store.

Clean the terminal clips to the crossovers from the drivers with de-oxit.

When re-installing the drivers, rotate the woofers 180 degrees. The woofers tend to "sag" after 30 years, and by rotating them 180 degrees, the stress will then tend to correct any deformation of the basket.

Clean the face of the midrange horn (K-700), and lightly wipe the face across a piece of 240 grit sand paper to make sure the face "mates" perfectly flat to the motor board. Wash the horn thoroughly before reinstalling to make sure no sandpaper residue is in the horn.

If.... you have any rudimentary technical skill.... If not, ask a friend who knows how to use a "multi-meter". Check the drivers for their impedance/ohms of resistance. Woofers should be ~4, mid's ~8, and tweeters around ~12. Figures of 3.9, 7.8, and 11.7, respectively, are generally ok. The trick is to make sure the drivers by type are the same or very, very close.

Before re-mounting the crossovers, put a 1/8" thick rubber gasket or grommet between the cabinet panel and the crossover board before you screw the board back on (screw goes through the gasket/ grommet...). This will reduce/ eliminate resonance and will dampen cabinet resonance.

When screwing everything back together, take your time..... red is positive and black is negative...

Cross tighten the screws gradually on the back panel. Upper left, then lower right, then upper right, then lower left, etc., etc. This keeps the panel from warping and leaving gaps.

If... they need "cosmetic" maintenance, that should be done while the cabinets are empty. See below thread for a detailed look at Heresy restoration, veneering, etc.

Hope that is of assistance.

[H]

"Remove the backs, there are braces on which the back panel fits. Make sure there are no "gaps". If there are, you can use caulk or "bondo" to seal them."

WADR-

I'd never use "Bondo" to seal the backs, unless you plan to never remove them again.

I'd use something more compliant than Bondo and which will permit disassembly and reassembly in the future. In reality, a Heresy was never airtight from the day it left Hope. I doubt you'd notice any difference whether sealed or not, as long as the back panel is secured snugly.