Talk me out ... or confirm this Icon KF System (mostly)

Cheerdude

While I could probably afford a Reference system, I think that I am going to go with a Icon based one. Especially after seeing the following at Best Buy

KF-28: $ 350 each or the KF-26 for $300 each

KC-25: $ 280

With the purchase of these speakers, you get a pair of the KS-14s free ($ 280).

So with a 10% off coupon off of an items ... I can get this for $ 945 or 850 (plus tax, of course). I might be able to shave off another $ 30-35 if I can use a second coupon at the same time.

BTW - I already have a Klipsch subwoofer (RW 10)

Am I missing something? I also saw that they had 2 open-box VF-36s for $ 200 each or VF-35s on clerance for $ 180 each... but those wouldn't get you the free surround speakers offer. Having said that, the overall prices would be comparable; even taking the 10% coupons out of the picture.

Sorry - I realize that it is all subjective ... just trying to make sure that I don't a) pay for something that I would regret or B) overpay for something... (which for BB in a sales tax state - I know will probably happen)

Thanks,

Jeff

specs look pretty decent on towers and center although im suprised how much the rears drop in efficiency

ive listened to a set of icons the vf36 at bestbuy and they werent bad, home theatre use they do well but music i wasnt much of a fan, try to find another dealer as well to take a listen to some reference speakers also if possible then let your ears and wallet decide what to take home

Call Michael at Acousticsounddesign.com and see what he can do for you. He has cherry RB-61's For $399 right now. I've heard them and was quite impressed.

He has an RB-41 package with free sub for $838 and free shipping

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1867&sc=52

he has a RB-61 set listed for $1416 and that comes with a free sub. Bet he can make you a deal. Worth the time of a phone call as this setup is close in price to the top end you listed but would likely be a significant performance boost.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1865&sc=52

Thanks for the replies ...

I sent an email to Acoustics & another to Sound Distributors

SD quoted me $ 1,176 for 2 RF-52 IIs, RC-52II & 2 RS-42 IIs (Free Shipping, no sales tax)

ASD quoted me about $ 50-55 more for the same (or very similar) system.

Any reason not to go with SD?

PS - Also, per Mike, Klipsch has 10% price increases coming on September 1st (in case this hasn't already been discussed)

Thanks all...

One "final" question regarding the RS-42s . I understand that there is a wall mount that's included... but I think that's just a keyhole to hang them up.

Is hanging them as simple as 1) finding a stud, 2) drilling in a screw or hammering in a nail, and 3) hanging the speaker?

Any recommendations on how big of a screw or nail I need to use?

Jeff

i just used a drywall screw for my rs62s, 1 screw in the keyhole slot as you are correct, i didnt even bother searching for a stud as im pretty sure its all beaverboard behind my drywall down here, id flip a coin with the 42s if you want a stud or not, probably recommended but unlikely needed, i wouldnt use nails

Thanks all...

One "final" question regarding the RS-42s . I understand that there is a wall mount that's included... but I think that's just a keyhole to hang them up.

Is hanging them as simple as 1) finding a stud, 2) drilling in a screw or hammering in a nail, and 3) hanging the speaker?

Any recommendations on how big of a screw or nail I need to use?

Jeff

It's a keyhole, and yeah, it's pretty much that simple. I used a 1.5" #8 flathead construction screw on my RS-52 IIs.. Of course, to even them out, you may want to use a Molly to anchor one to sheet rock (haven't tried that). Also, height is fairly important...too high and the sound will be too ambient for action movies. Try and place the bottom of the speaker between ear level and 6 inches above your head using the seated listening position as a reference. If you have to place the speaker higher, you might angle it slightly (haven't tried that either).

i just used a drywall screw for my rs62s, 1 screw in the keyhole slot as you are correct, i didnt even bother searching for a stud as im pretty sure its all beaverboard behind my drywall down here, id flip a coin with the 42s if you want a stud or not, probably recommended but unlikely needed, i wouldnt use nails

+1. Do not use nails.

I was unable to find the studs near the position I wanted, so I used drywall anchors.

(I have Klipsch SS 3s; kind of similar).

1.5 years and the achors are going strong; even after I have had kitties jump on them; etc.

If you are buying new, I think they will come with a template for mounting.

Use a level and viola!

Good Luck.

• Moderators

It's actually simpler than that by skipping #2. I used drywall anchor screws. Just find anchors that support more than your speaker's weight and you will be fine.

For a clean install, fish your speaker wire behind the drywall.

Back_Wall_small.jpg

rs-52_5.jpg

Here is the back of the RS-52's

rs-52_3.jpg

• Moderators

My front row Electric Recline Aurora Seats on Craigslist for $750.00.

The back row I bought from a builder that was going bankrupt. They were basically brand new since they used them in their Model Home. They still have the plastic on the foot rests. I paid $600.00 for them.