Help needed from machinists/mechanics/engineers/ANYONE!--Tiny piston

fini

I feel pretty sure silicone oil is what you want, not motor oil. I don't think you're looking for a lubricant.

How about this site, which sells SO viscosities from 0.65 to 20 million. They say 50 to 1,000 cst is the most commonly used, which seems nicely in between what you've tried. How does your hobby shop test or use them? I'd think an oil that lets a 1-gm weight sink very slowly is what you want. My Basis arm rests in SO that takes maybe 5 seconds to form a drop that falls from a Q-tip, but may be a different viscosity from the sealed-up arm lift fluid.

I have no idea what viscosities those are. I suggest you talk with someone at that site and/or a tonearm manufacturer like VPI or Basis to see what they suggest. They might be pretty open about it, since I guess you're not starting your own TA business.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

duder, you are awesome! Thank you so much. I went by the local hobby shop today and bought some 5000 cst differential fluid. The more to experiment with, the better. PM on its way. I'd like to pay for postage, at least!

Like LARRYC said.... Stay away from the petroleum based lubricants. Once you get them all over anything it will be all over your vinyl and needles. Not a good thing. Stick with the non-petroleum silicon. For RC cars they make a multitude of different viscosity's for shock dampeners. That is going to be your best bet.

Hi Larry! Sorry for the late response, as I've been out of town. I have 3 different weights to try out right now. Thanks for contacting AJ. I'll report my findings. Boy, it is a real PITA to put this thing back together. The screws are about as big as a flea..And I have big ol' dog paws!

Larry, I picked up a 5000cst oil at the hobby shop, and Nick (duder1982 here) kindly sent me two little bottles he had (viscosity unknown, but they're each tinted, which should corespond to a particular viscosity. They'll know at the hobby shop). I think in this particular application, 100,00cst oil will still be too thick. But you never know...I hope to get back to the turntable tomorrow (fingers crossed).

• 5 months later...

After putting this on the back burner for 6 months, I'm back at it, and ready to report initial testing is showing 5000cst to be the oil of choice! Hopefully, I'll wrap up the whole thing in time to take it to my daughter on Sunday. It will be mated with a vintage Pioneer SX-850 receiver and some JBL speakers, which she's been enjoying for a while. Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement!