KG series any good for home theater?

mjcmt

The KG-5.5's that I've seen for sale cost more than I can afford. What about the 4.2 or 4.5 instead of the 3.5? The only difference I see are a 10" woofer instead of a 8", and the specs look the same.

+1 for the 4.5 or bigger for the fronts. Don't forget the 4.2's when you are searching. It has been stated that there is no discernable timbre difference in the point 2's and the point 5's of the KG series. I currently have a system running KG 4.2's L/R, a KG 2.5 center, and KG 2.5's rear. My sub is a nice sized Paradigm.

kgs are a good budget setup, i was toying around with some kg 5.5s kg 1.5s and a kv2, they do sound a little thin and run out of gas alot quicker than the rf83 setup but then again they should, i think a better option instead is the klipsch klf legend series and for just a fraction more than the kgs, otherwise id lean with the last 2 or 3 generations of the reference series

kgs are a good budget setup, i was toying around with some kg 5.5s kg 1.5s and a kv2, they do sound a little thin and run out of gas alot quicker than the rf83 setup but then again they should, i think a better option instead is the klipsch klf legend series and for just a fraction more than the kgs, otherwise id lean with the last 2 or 3 generations of the reference series

elite,

Did your "period" key on your keyboard fall off?

What about the 4.2 or 4.5 instead of the 3.5? The only difference I see are a 10" woofer instead of a 8", and the specs look the same.

The 3.5 has the Exponential horn, where as the 4.2 and 4.5 has the Tractrix. The Tractrix gives a more 'open' soundstage.

I agree with elitedemo. Used Reference series (2001-2003) will be better than the KG series for a little more money. KLF series is a bigger jump with the 20s and 30s having a three way design.

BUT, the KG line does a great job. It's all about what you want to spend.

I own both klf30's and kg 5.2's. I spent a bit of money on the klf's, got the 5.2's for a song. The Kg's offer more ease of placement with the passive radiator in the front. As far as value goes, it is hard to beat the kg series, and with a bit of Eqing you can have some incredible Home theater speakers.