Belle vs. Cornwall

Hibuckhobby

• Moderators

If you have ever heard LaScala or Khorn, the midrange would be closer to that than what your hearing from the Cornwall.

What is it you don't like about the Cornwall, or you would want a little different ?

Hi:

I own both, Cornwalls and Belles, and they are different animals, IMO.

The Belles are pretty but it is only skin deep. They do lack the thumping bass the Corns have but they are not bass shy. I've had a sub hooked to them but the logistics of my room prevented me of keeping the sub as part of the system. Only after finding a well mated pre and amp (modded ST-70 w/point to point wiring, and a Juicy Music Blueberry,) I was able to obtain an acceptable compromise. If you like bass heavy music, the Belles may not be to your liking without some sub woofer help. Now if you like Female vocals, the Belle set-up I have is phenomenal that not even my K-horn setup can match (Enya, The Cranberries, Cowboy Junkies, Madeline Peyroux)

My Cornwalls (1982 vintage) have just recently (a week ago) got a crossover upgrade by Bob and Mike Crites. All I can say is, WOW!!!. What a difference just upgrading the crossovers can make. Others have commented that is was like taking a blanket off their speakers. I can't explain it any better. I have better, if not more, clean bass and the detail is much more defined. I'm hearing things in music that I could only hear on the Belles and K-horns. One good example I can give is the beginning of Pink Floyd's "Time". I can now hear the last two or three bongs of the clock as they fade away.

My suggestion is that at the very least, get your crossovers upgraded. I've been on this forum for 10 years and have read post after post about people preaching upgrading older crossovers. Being a very skeptical person, it took over 10 years of brainwashing to finally get me to drink the "upgrade your older crossovers" Kool-aid.

Upgrading your crossovers is very inexpensive if you can do the work yourself or in my case, it is still very affordable to have someone else to do them for you if you don't have the time or skills.

I think you can pull of the Belle purchase and the Crownwall crossover upgrade and thus ending up with 2 sets of great sounding heritage speakers.

Good Luck with your decision and keep us informed of your choice(s).

Thanks

JJ