KG 4.2 crossover upgrade HELP ME DECIPHER THESE CAPACITORS!

Hikari

Just purchased a set of KG 4.2's and they sound decent but I am a tinkerer and have been thinking about upgrading caps due to age in the crossover. I've never worked on a crossover but have built some tube amps so I am pretty familiar with the nomenclature.

A look inside shows:

A) 33uf nonpolarized elecrolytic

- Is it better to stick w/ an electrolytic or can a plastic cap work better here? Obviously at this large of value a solen or something is gonna be way pricier than a electrolytic cap.

B) 3.0K Mylar cap

- "K"? OK, a know "K" can mean "10% tolerance" or it can also mean "1000", like 3000pf. But this is a pretty phsically big cap to be 3000pf (.0033uf) It is not ceramic or sliver mica. So is it a 3uf/10% tolerance cap?

C) 2.5K plastic cap

- Same questions as the 3.0K cap. Is it 2.5uf or .0025uf?

All the caps are labelled "KSR". I'd imagine some Solens or Daytons or other resonably priced hi-fi oriented cap would be an improvement.

Also thinking about the Crites titanium tweeter upgrade. Worth it? I bought the 4.2's pretty cheap and could probably turn a profit on them. Should I bag the whole upgrade route and step up to a set of Heresy's or quartets? Honestly, I like the 4.2's but don't want to throw $100 at them when $200-300 more will get me a used pair of quartets.

post-52423-1381966149722_thumb.jpg

My .02:

I had KG 5.2s and my Heresy Is.

I took about 6 weeks of switching back and forth to decide which to keep.

The KG 5.2s could POUND. They were not as detailed as the heresy Is. Perhaps the titanium tweeters and new Xovers would get them closer.

The Heresy Is (with a sub) do everything the KG 5.2s could and just sound better. More detailed; more seperation, etc. Just better.

I kept the Heresey Is and sold the KG 5.2s.

I wish I had kept the 5.2s in retrospect, because they are excellent speakers.

I hope this does not confuse you more.......

Good Luck.

Ironsave,

I have a pair of Chorus II and two pairs of Forte II but like you, the more I listen to the Heresy with a powered sub, the more I like them. They are much easier to setup and "play around" with than the full tower versions. Of course, they are no Khorns or Scalas but for my needs, they fit perfectly! I particularly like the Heresy 1.5 more than the original ones.

One last question...

Is it worth it to upgrade the inductors? 4 air core inductors would run me about $60. Is this something that's worthwhile to do while I have the crossover out?

Right now my plane is to replace the plastic caps w/Solen or Dayton and replace the electrolytic with a new electrolytic.

Possibly the inductors with air core like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=255-422&DID=7

There are 2 inductors per speaker. One has a iron bar in it, one is just a coil. Can both of these be replaced with generic 1mh air core?

Thanks!

post-52423-13819661770834_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

A) 33uf nonpolarized elecrolytic
- Is it better to stick w/ an electrolytic or can a plastic cap work better here? Obviously at this large of value a solen or something is gonna be way pricier than a electrolytic cap.

And a lot bigger too. [:|] It's a shunt, so current passed along to the driver doesn't go through it. It's electrolytic for a reason.

I'd bag the whole upgrade route. It's not smart money.

Honestly, I like the 4.2's but don't want to throw $100 at them when $200-300 more will get me a used pair of quartets.

That's a better idea. [Y][H]

post-42237-13819693244034_thumb.png

I picked up a pair of 4.2's in january for a good price, my first klipsch.......VERY HAPPY !!!! But i have been spying on this forums posts for about 3 years. Only because i own 4.2's will i give my opinion, and because i'm bored and this is interesting. The first thing i'm doing is the Crites Titanium tweeters. I have heard nothing but GREAT!!!! reviews about this being the biggest bang for you buck upgrade for the KG line, and just about every other line with non metallic tweeters............ If you want info on crossovers Critesspeakers.com.......... completely new crossovers and crossover kits for the 4.2's .............I think i can see Mr.Crites from here.