talk to me about bowers and wilkins..

Schu

From what I've seen in terms of measurements at AV Talk, B&W subs tend to be geared towards music: fast decay times, low group delay, and reasonable output with low distortion in the 40-80Hz band. However, they may not represent a screaming bargain at full MSRP, and not all of them perform particularly well in terms of deep bass capability. The PV1 for example is (unsurprisingly) mostly worthless in this respect.

So my questions are: which B&W subs were you contemplating? Full MSRP, or sale pricing? Listening room dimensions? Is the room sealed off, or open to other areas? How loud do you like to listen? Is this a music only system? How deep would you like to go cleanly?

thanks... I buy used mainly, which seems to be palatable in terms of pricing for a BW... 250-400max. I've seen planety of units in that price range, some on the bay some on craigslist. I listen to my music loud, and my room(roughly 20x25) is not sealed but opens to the rest of the house.I would like a ultra low freq, but that is not going ot happen anytime soon in that price range unless I find someones used folded horn. I would like to think I could get down to somewhere around 20hz

I would like to think I could get down to somewhere around 20hz

Unfortunately that may be a tall order taking your room into account. All of the B&W subs measured at AV talk seem to count on a bit or a lot of room gain to boost the low end. With your floorplan, I'd wager there isn't going to be much of any gain at 20Hz to compensate for the roll off. If 20Hz and musicality are priorities, I would recommend looking for a used Hsu 2.3 or 3.3 perhaps, and placing it in a nearfield or in a nearby corner (within 2 meters).

unless I find someones used folded horn.

Build one!

Stick out tongue

I'd be loved ot try... but if I could find one used for sale(like the one that was for sale in the garage section for $400) I would rather go that way. price was right and the size and set up was perfect... it just happened to be located on the other side of the usa

will land does your tag line have to so much detail? There is room for all that in your system description on your profile...

Colin,

I have been meaning to get around to just listing my main system on the front page but just have not done it yet.

Bill