RF-7 Bad Driver

youthsonic

Hey guys;

I picked up a set of black RF-7's from a friend the other day. He had mentioned that there was an issue with the crossover, and therefore let them go for really cheap. I figured no big deal - replace a few caps and I'm good.

Well, today I go to open them up and test. It actually seems that one of the 10" drivers is bad. I took it out and hooked it up to my stereo, and not a peep. The other seems to work fine as does the horn. Is there anything I can do outside of calling Klipsch and seeing about getting another one? Anyone know of a ballpark price for these, or happen to have a working one laying around? The wife is alreay mad that I even have them and won't let me spend much at all to get them rehabed...

Thanks!

Dave

I called this morning, and was quoted 161.39 each + shipping and tax. It is possible that I need 2 now, since the other one seems to only work when I tap it.

It may even be possible that the crossover needs repair as well. Is there a good way to test it? I am handy with electronics, but have never tested a crossover before, just soldered in new caps. Klipsch is quoting 80$ to replace the network.

Are both drivers in question on the same speaker? I would think that the easiest way to rule out the network would be to just swap out the drivers providing that 2 of the drivers are working. I don't know what you paid for the RF7's, but the price of the new driver is what I paid three years ago and it was worth the price to know what I was getting.

That is a good idea. I'll do that tonight. Yes, the bad drivers are on the same side. One is completely dead, and the other seems to be going out. I'll hook up the network to the other speaker, which I believe is good, then see if the tone is the same. As for the deal, I essentially got them for free, so spending $350 or so isn't too big a deal, but the wife will not be happy.

Thanks everyone!

If she gets to P/O'd at you, as a friend and fellow forum member, I would be willing to make a sacrifice and take them off your hands for the same price you paid, so as not to cause you any hardship and heck I'll even pay the shipping, just to keep things calm on the home front. LMAO[:P]