What's the difference between RF3 and RF3II?

What differences.........and are they substantial in sound quality?

I'm looking for a 2nd set of speakers to hook up when I want to listen to music LOUD. my current speaks are 92db mini monitors (MM de Capo by Reference 3A) and I only have a 20watt 300BXLS tube based amp. They play loud.......but on some disks with a low recording level, it sucks.

I've demo'd the RF-7 (102db) and wasn't particulary in love with the sound, although they did play louder than I could handle, even with only 20 watts powering it, so I figure 98db efficiency of the RF3II ought to be plenty to split my eardrums.

HD - I don't think you'll hear a difference between the RF-3 and the RF-3II. The changes had to do with using Monster wire internally, and mostly cosmetics, I believe.

If you're looking for a pair of kick-butt, beautiful sounding speakers, how about a nice pair of used Klipsch Forte? I'm selling mine in this thread:

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum9/HTML/002014.html

They are 98db efficient, and they are 3-way which (IMHO) will sound better than the RF-3s. Plus, they are right here in the Phoenix area! I'd be happy to demo them for you. Heck, you can even do a try and buy!

plug>

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-03-2002 at 01:50 PM

I was told by a guy at tweeter that the RF3 II's were a little less harsh than the RF3's. He claimed there were complaints that the RF3's were to harsh in the upper end so they scaled it back a little. Dont know if that's true or not. That's just what the sales dork told me. And he claimed to be a Klipsch fan.

Here's the response to that question posted by one of our moderators last year.

quote:

Originally posted by JimG:

The changes are that the RF-3 II gets Monster Cable inside, new snap-in port tubes, convoluted foam inside, a logo on the front motorboard, a new grille, new boxes and inner-pack and it goes up $50 in price to $850/pr. It has not been re-voiced but does sound better with the new internal wiring and it certainly looks better with the cosmetic improvements. Plus, the grille won't break when you tip it forward and the port tube won't come loose if you use it as a handle to carry the speaker around (which is how 95% of the people grab it to carry it).

The RB-5 has also been replaced with the RB-5 II. It gets Monster inside, three new finishes (to match the RF-5's et al), new boxes and inner-pack, motorboard logos and also goes up $50 to $850/pr.

RC-3 and RS-3 also are gone - replaced by RC-3 II and RS-3 II. They also get Monster inside and new boxes and inner-pack. They both retain their same MSRP's at $350/ea and $550/pr respectively.

All of these changes have been made to bring these models up-to-date with the newer Reference models.

Jim

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>