Switching speaker size in a small Roland microcube amp

m00n

Hey all..

I recently purchased a little Roland Microcube amp. It's 2 watts and has a little 5" driver in it with 4ohms impedence. The speaker in it now is not all that good so i want to replace it. I have two choices so far but not sure about either of them...

Option 1
Eminence is widely used in guitar amplifiers, they have a little 6" speaker that caught my eye and it is 4ohm impedence. The problem is, I'd have to modify the.... damn what's it called again? The baffle???? Is that right? Anyway, the part of the box that the driver mounts too. I'd have to make the hole a little bigger.

Option 2
Then I also found a speaker from Dayton Audio, I believe it to be a normal loudspeaker driver. It's a 5" running at 8ohms. It fits, but, it's not a normal guitar amp speaker.

So, here are my questions. What is the better option? Sticking with the 5" Dayton Audio speaker, but a speaker that is not used as a guitar amp speaker, that runs at 8ohms, or get the 6" Eminence speaker from a company that makes guitar amp speakers, even though this particular speaker is most likely not a guitar amp speaker either.

Lets say I go with the 6" speaker, I have to modify the cab, in such a small box, in a non hi fi application, will it affect the tone much, that I'm altering the cab and putting in a larger driver?

OR, if anyone else has any suggestions for a better speaker for my little amp, I'm open to suggestions!

1: motorboard - I have done this with a cheap drum sander attachment for a drill from Harbor Freight. Make sure you actually have enough room to make the old hole 5 inches for the 6 inch driver first.

2: I would use the Eminence. I have a Bill Fitzmaurice XF-210 I built which is using two of the Swamp Thang drivers. Excellent!

If you don't like the sound from the Eminence, you can open the back up and see how you like it. I built a convertible (removable back) for different tone and loudness depending on circumstances.

• Moderators

I don't have a clue but nice to hear from you. [:D] I guess what ever one is easier because neither is made for a guitar.

My wife will still not stare at anything on the computer waiting for something to happen or change since you posted that video, her jumping was so funny I almost hurt myself laughing.

I don't have a clue but nice to hear from you. Big Smile I guess what ever one is easier because neither is made for a guitar.

My wife will still not stare at anything on the computer waiting for something to happen or change since you posted that video, her jumping was so funny I almost hurt myself laughing.

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH my gawd, that is funny!!!! Funny thing is, to this day, I still worry every time my mother sends me something. I got her good back then too. Eh, that's ok... I litterly screamed like a little girl, threw my headphones across my cube and fell out of my chair at work when someone sent it to me.

Good lord... Thanks for the laugh.

1: motorboard - I have done this with a cheap drum sander attachment for a drill from Harbor Freight. Make sure you actually have enough room to make the old hole 5 inches for the 6 inch driver first.

Apparently there is enough room. I've seen other guys on the internet doing it. One guy used a car speaker, says he liked the results.

2: I would use the Eminence. I have a Bill Fitzmaurice XF-210 I built which is using two of the Swamp Thang drivers. Excellent!

Yeah, I like Eminence, I have them in one of my other amps.

If you don't like the sound from the Eminence, you can open the back up and see how you like it. I built a convertible (removable back) for different tone and loudness depending on circumstances.

Actually, you can't take the back off on these. The top and the back is one formed peice of sheetmetal. They have about a 2" tuning port in the baffle, but I've heard that the 6" speaker will cover part of that up. Not sure how much of a big deal it would be in a small little practice amp like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back... [;)]

What don't you like on the original "cube" sound?

Neither of these guarantees "better" sound... esp with only 2W, the driver's efficiency will play a big role... as well how well matched it's TS parameter fit this little ported box.

ROb