To m00n:

zandern

Which monster power bar did you get? Where did you get it? Also do you have it in your system rack, or does it sit behind it? Does it have cool lights on it, I want it to light up and for it to sit with the rest of my components or isnt' that possible? Could you please anwer these for me, I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks.

zan, u could always get a $20 surge protector & string it w/ those tiny xmas lights. j/k Biggrin.gif

i have the monster hts-2500 & like it fine. should be able to get in online for under $200 total but that may still be a lil pricey. can't say i can hear any real dif in sound, but got the surge protection (in addition to the protector the power co put on the house for a mo./fee).

i got it originally to have timed switching for my acurus power amp (now replaced). & those red & green lights are quite cool. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-06-2002 at 06:47 PM

Zan,

It's the PB 1100. Has 8 plugs. Ya, it has pretty lights. The bright blue one is my favoritecwm20.gif

I think I paid $175.00 for it at Good Guys . They are a local store here in the area, but you can also order from their web site.

As far as where it's located.... Well, I hesitate to tell anyone for fear I may get slapped by people who know better. But anyway you have to picture this in your head. Picture a brick fireplace. Brick on the floor in front. Now picture that someone didn't actually build a fireplace but rather a place to put a wood stove where you would expect a nice big open firepit. My entertainment center is sitting in front of that. I have my powerbar sitting on top of my wood stove so I can't even see it.

Oh and like boa12, I can't say that I really noticed any difference. But like I have said many times, it's comforting to know that my system is protected by a nice powerbar.

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 05-06-2002 at 07:14 PM

m00n-

I've got a Monster HTS-5000 from ebay on a dutch auction for $360. Brand new in the original box with warranty (checked it out with Monster Cable). The jury is still out on the filtering aspect but these are some decent surge/spike protectors.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-08-2002 at 10:03 AM

Ya, can you imagine spending all that money on a H/T and skimp on the protection? Take a huge spike and toast your system? Don't know about you, but I would just about cry.cwm6.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

btw zan moon's is a power bar. if u want the stylish component looking box that goes on the rack that's the hts line. Wink.gif both moon's & mine have "stage 2 circuitry". tom's may have "stage 3".

one quandry i've had w/ mine is it has supposedly different filtering for high current (amps), low current (preamps), & video. the 1 labeled a/v receiver

is under the video section but does that mean it doesn't also get audio power conditioning? no clue in the monster info. the preamp is under the low current audio.

cwm5.gif

i tried my a/v pre/pro on both the preamp & a/v receiver plug-ins but again no dif for me in audio or video quality. so i just left it in the a/v receiver socket.

so the question is does monster consider an a/v pre/pro

a preamp or an a/v receiver? anybody hooked a digital a/v pre/pro to one of these? oh well. cwm25.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Get computer surge protection.

I think a computer with 100,000,000 transistors is WAY more fragile that a receiver. I am not too sure about filters. If you look at a power supply, there should be a capacitor in there (NOT the audio capacitor), it's job is to act like a battery and do the filtering for you. All computers have this, and I have seen it in some audio gear.

I am very skeptical about giving $200 to Nole Lee (Monster Cable guy) as I think Monster Cable is out there to rape people for their money. I know that the filters and etc. do stuff, but I do not know how much.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ken

There is a simular thread in the HT section about line conditioners, I believe started by Zandern.

In it I stated that I used Computer UPS's for my low wattage components for my power amps I was thinking of replacing my line conditioners with larger UPS's.

Somebody stated that was not a good idea, but never gave any reasons. So I'll post the question again here.

Computer UPS's have really come down in price. I would think having a gell cell full of power would be better than having a few charged caps to fill in the lows.

One thing I do know for sure is DO NOT USE THE CHEAP POWER STRIPS YOU BUY AT ANY STORE. They do not cover low voltage and can usually only handle ONE spike. Once the spike happens the circuit usually closes so the equipment does not shut off. Once that happens, there is no more protection.

JM

m00n said:

Ya, can you imagine spending all that money on a H/T and skimp on the protection? Take a huge spike and toast your system? Don't know about you, but I would just about cry. cwm6.gif>

That is why that in addition to the surge suppression, I also have a $10,000 rider on my home insurance to cover any electronics that does get fried due to lightening strikes. I already lost a modem that way one summer. Keep in mind that even the best surge suppression is not going to guard against a direct lightening strike. Hell, another summer, I damn near lost the entire place in a tornado - a small one touched down in my neighborhood. I ended up only having to replace a few shingles on the roof cwm31.gif, but quite a few other houses got thier siding ripped off and many trees where knocked down.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802

RF-3II (Front)

RC-3II (Center)

RC-3II (Rear)

RS-3II (A surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - recycled)

32 inch Sharp (TV)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 05-07-2002 at 09:34 PM