Veneer the base for cornwalls?

smcgov34

hey gents (and non-gents), I have multiple questions, I have some '73 vertical cornwalls that have some cracks and chips in the veneer, the walnut has aged to a nice almost golden patina, but the veneer issues IMO are not something that can be sanded and repaired, I'm thinking total reveneer. I've reveneered about 4 sets of speakers now and although I'm not an expert, I can make them match up nicely. My concerns are that I don't think I want something exotic, and that new walnut will have a much darker patina, also, there are bases screwed into these, should I bother doing the base and the bottom...do I just paint the base black or is that cheesy? does one remove the base and veneer the bottom and the base? Also the grill fabric on these is a sort of very dark green or dark brown fabric that to me reminds me of the ugly carpet we had in our house in the 70's...I have a roll of klipsch cane and am thinking I should redo the grills..is it bad news to keep it non original? Does anybody have pics of putting cane on an old motorboard?

73 cornwall grills are not removable. if i were you i would cut out the grill cloth and make grill boards out of 1/8" masonite from home depot and glue on your cane cloth.

i had 74 verticals that i took out the motorboard ( 17 screws ) and removed 5000 staples and i made grill boards for them. one set in cane and one set in factory black. if i ever did it again i would not remove the motorboard and just cut the old cloth out and make grill boards for them. on the upside of removing the motorboard i used it as a template to route out all the holes for my grill boards.

• Moderators

did you prefer the cane to the black?

YES I do, [:D] I think many here like that better, the problem is there is no place to buy nice cane, if there was many would probably replace there grills.

I don't think the black base looks bad at all, it would be a personal choice. Take off a base since your going to redo the speaker anyway paint it black and put it back to get an idea how it looks.

so they are removable but I'd have to do a whole lot of hacking? I read on here somewhere that other than the screws they may be glued in as well and require a good beating from a mallet.

did you prefer the cane to the black?

17 screws hold the motorboard in. there is some chaulk across the top of the port shelf. couple little taps with a rubber mallet and it should fall right out.

i love the original cane but you can't get it anymore. if you make grill boards go ahead and make 2 sets one for cane and one for black. you can get #17 black from bob crites ( BEC ) here on the forum.

if you do a search here on the forum i took and posted pictures when i did it. type in vertical cornwalls and see if you can find it.

I think the fabric for these grilles is MD4134 made by Dura Crest, and is sold here:

http://www.wendellfabrics.com/mellotonefabricsamples.html ph: 864.839.6341

Price is $21.95/yard with a 2 yard minimum. 64" wide, and a $10 handling charge on sizes less than 5 yards. In other words, it would cost you or whoever buys them, $54 plus UPS shipping from SC to get new cloth for these. I'd say $65 total.

556_Mello_Sample_F.png

I read on here somewhere that other than the screws they may be glued in as well and require a good beating from a mallet.

I guess if you live somewhere in southern Texas, you might be able to get Dave over to go heavy on the Corns.

they pop out pretty easy.....the cloth is wrapped around the motorboard...then the glue was placed between the cloth and cabinet....makes for a very easy joint to seperate.....especially if you're going to refabrick them anyway.