4 SUBS

Utard

I am thinking of going the 4 sub route. I have 2 RW-12d's. Any thoughts on doing 2 more RW-10d's instead of 12's. I guess what I am wondering is if the 10's have a different sound than the 12's and would that fill in any gap in sound? Or would I be better just getting 2 more 12's?

Mark,

In my experience, (2) subs was difficult enough to set up properly. I could only imagine trying (4) subs. If it were me, I would shoot for only (2) great indentical subs before I used (4). In my opinion, the RW-10d is marginally good for a small HT setup and only fair for music. If you must have (4) subs and could find (2) RSW-10d's for a decent price(good luck), now that may change the game for the better. They are excellent for music.

Your task at hand is really going to be tough unless you consider a sub eq like this Velodyne SMS-1.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misceqal&1324301390&/Velodyne-SMS-1-

Bill

Mark,

In my experience, (2) subs was difficult enough to set up properly. I could only imagine trying (4) subs. If it were me, I would shoot for only (2) great indentical subs before I used (4). In my opinion, the RW-10d is marginally good for a small HT setup and only fair for music. If you must have (4) subs and could find (2) RSW-10d's for a decent price(good luck), now that may change the game for the better. They are excellent for music.

Your task at hand is really going to be tough unless you consider a sub eq like this Velodyne SMS-1.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misceqal&1324301390&/Velodyne-SMS-1-

Bill

I must have lucked out with my sub placement. I got two of the RW-12d's at the same time. I tried to place at the side of my tv at first. Because I have an old crappy tv the magnets played havoc with the picture so I did what most people would have said you should not do and I put them directly behind me. I put them touching the back of my sofa with the speakers pointing out to the sides with all of the wires in the middle (the back rubs are nice). And I have to tell you the sound is incredible.

So to keep a long story kind of medium long. I will be upgrading the tv soon and I wanted to put 2 more subs under the tv. Because the only bad thing with the subs behind is its not like i really hear them behind but I can feel them behind. And I just wanted to be surrounded with bass front and rear.

Are the sub eq's a one time use thing to calibrate or a new permanent thing for the system?

I didnt have a hard time at all setting up my A5-350s. But then again Im using Audyssey XT32. The Klipsch subs, for me, left alot to be desired on the low end. I had a RW10d with my very first setup, and quickly got rid of it. The output was horrible.

I didnt have a hard time at all setting up my A5-350s.

I think my calibrating was so difficult because I am using two different subs at different locations(10" on front wall, 15' on side wall) and with no auto EQ. Only my ears and the trusty(not really) RS sound meter are what I had to work with. After much trial and error, now it sounds great.

Bill

Honestly I dont get the multiple sub concept. Four subs that go to 26hz still gets you 26hz x 4.

IMO sell the two you have if they are not cutting the mustard and get one monster sub that will.

More subs, if done properly, can get an increased volume and depth with less effort. This should lead to faster, tighter bass. Also, by placing them in multiple positions, you have the potential to eliminate dead spots in your room.

I didnt have a hard time at all setting up my A5-350s. But then again Im using Audyssey XT32. The Klipsch subs, for me, left alot to be desired on the low end. I had a RW10d with my very first setup, and quickly got rid of it. The output was horrible.

Well, that's understandable, but two A5-350s are $1500.00. A NIB RW-10d can be had for $250.00. Not exactly apples to oranges. Also, not sure what your first system was, but if it's anything like your current system, the RW-10d was totally outclassed.

I am thinking of going the 4 sub route. I have 2 RW-12d's. Any thoughts on doing 2 more RW-10d's instead of 12's. I guess what I am wondering is if the 10's have a different sound than the 12's and would that fill in any gap in sound? Or would I be better just getting 2 more 12's?

I would move your current subs up front first. If you miss the chair vibrations, get some bass shakers for $100.00.

lol. thats sticker cornfed. Have you ever paid sticker price for anything.

Sticker is $2000.00 for 2 A5-350s versus $700.00 for one RW-10d. Are you telling me you got 2 NIB A5-350s for the current Klipsch MSRP price of $700.00 for an RW-10d? Or, are you saying that you expected that the RW-10d would have the same output as two A5-350s? Or, are you saying, you just can't get good bass for $250.00?

Dont get upset, I was just joking at first.

Im saying I didnt like the RW10d that I had a long time ago. Output sucked and it didnt dig deep at all. I replaced it with a eD A2-300 which cost $300 compared to the Rw10d which cost me $350 plus tax in town. Comparing those two, the eD blew it away.

My A5s cost $680 each. Im not sure how much the RW12d costs.

Not upset at all. I greatly respect your opinion, and I think that your opinion about the RW-10d is exactly what this thread needs, but I think it also needs some context such as; what size room was it in and what speakers was it paired with? The RW-10d should have done quite well in a 1200 cubic foot room or smaller paired with the RF-62s, however, paired with the RF-63s in a 1500 square foot room I would expect it to be a huge bust. A little additional information makes the review much more pertinent in my opinion, and that was what I was trying to get at (no matter how poorly my execution was). [:S]

The RW-12ds were on sale for $329.00 two weeks ago and the 10ds for $259.00 to your door. Depending on application, that is a HUGE bang for your buck on new subs.

The thing with Klipsch subs is that at MSRP they just don't compete with ID subs. Way too much mark-up. Second issue is that they don't have the huge efficiency of the floor standing models. Without the horm, they just can't fill the same space that the RF-XX can. As a result, one can easily be wowed by the output of RF-62s in a 4000 cubic foot room, but can't get a cost effective low end match from Klipsch.

So back to the main question. Is there anyone that has 4 subs front and rear and or different sizes.

Whats your thoughts on going with different sizes compared to all same size.

I was thinking with 2-12's and 2-10's because it might cover some sound gaps? Any one tried this?

I am not looking to try to get lower hz just an all encompassing sound.

Right now with the 2-12's I have them set with one on depth and one on punch. I enjoy the sound set that way.

So I was thinking with 2 more set on flat might be good?

As was mentioned earlier, calibrating multiple subs CAN be tricky. If the plan is to have them set-up equi-distnce from the MLP, it is much easier. If they are the same model, it is much easier. Going from the 12d to the 10d is only a modest change, but you will really struggle to get Audyssey to accurately calibrate for all of the varients. Folks that run multiple subs USUALLY have VERY high end subs and equally high end calibration software.

The easiest thing to do, in order to get better output, would be to reposition the subs and calibrate with Audyssey. If that's not good enough, the next easiest thing to do would be to stack the subs. Next...upgrade your subs. If you are opposed to that, the next best thing would be to add two additional identical subs. The fifth thing on the list that I would do would be to buy 2 RW-10ds...JMO.

As was mentioned earlier, calibrating multiple subs CAN be tricky. If the plan is to have them set-up equi-distnce from the MLP, it is much easier. If they are the same model, it is much easier. Going from the 12d to the 10d is only a modest change, but you will really struggle to get Audyssey to accurately calibrate for all of the varients. Folks that run multiple subs USUALLY have VERY high end subs and equally high end calibration software.

The easiest thing to do, in order to get better output, would be to reposition the subs and calibrate with Audyssey. If that's not good enough, the next easiest thing to do would be to stack the subs. Next...upgrade your subs. If you are opposed to that, the next best thing would be to add two additional identical subs. The fifth thing on the list that I would do would be to buy 2 RW-10ds...JMO.

I was thinking about the 4 subs problem, and kinda figured why not stack the subs also. Have 2 stacks of two. I seem to remember that you should either have your subs very close together (to flatten the curve, and avoid cancellation), or farther apart than the wavelength of the bottom end. I believe this was on the BFM site and was BF's statement.