4 SUBS

Utard

As was mentioned earlier, calibrating multiple subs CAN be tricky.

I would assume that the issues of setting up multiple subs is PRIMARILY one of using different models in one listening room. Group delay on subwoofers in their passband can vary dramatically between models, and that means that if you set your calibration up for one frequency, they're not going to be "in-phase" at other frequencies.

The easiest way to deal with this is to reduce that portion of the spectrum handled by the subs, i.e., lower your crossover point from your mains to your subs (if possible). For instance, if you are using 80 Hz crossover point, then think about using 45-50 Hz instead--if your mains can handle it. Then calibrate the phase of your subs at something below 30 Hz (i.e., mid-band) or even a lower frequency.

Other way to deal with this is to simply use the same sub type in all locations - then it would be very easy to set up - set them up for maximum lf at your listening position - one-at-a-time.

I use dual SPUD horn-loaded subs (i.e., of the same design) in the front corners behind the Jubs; calibrating them is a non-issue. I cross over at 40 Hz from the Jubs. I find that two horn-loaded subs is sufficient for my room and they integrate very well with the Jub fronts and tri-amped Belle center.

Chris

Chris, the problem is primarily cancellation due to phase issues, at least that's what I've run across. It can be very challenging. You can actually have less bass with 2 subs than what you have with one (at the listening position) if not set up correctly.

Chris, the problem is primarily cancellation due to phase issues, at least that's what I've run across.

Respectfully...I believe that was what I was talking about...different sub group delay curves will pull your subs out of phase vs. frequency, even if you set them up to be in-phase at one frequency...

As was mentioned earlier, calibrating multiple subs CAN be tricky.

I would assume that the issues of setting up multiple subs is PRIMARILY one of using different models in one listening room. Group delay on subwoofers in their passband can vary dramatically between models, and that means that if you set your calibration up for one frequency, they're not going to be "in-phase" at other frequencies.
Sweet. Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. Sounds like I will go with 2 more 12's. Thanks.

So back to the main question. Is there anyone that has 4 subs front and rear and or different sizes. Whats your thoughts on going with different sizes compared to all same size. I was thinking with 2-12's and 2-10's because it might cover some sound gaps? Any one tried this? I am not looking to try to get lower hz just an all encompassing sound. Right now with the 2-12's I have them set with one on depth and one on punch. I enjoy the sound set that way. So I was thinking with 2 more set on flat might be good?

Utard

I run a Klipsch KPT-684 dual 18" pro theatre sub with two Velodyne HGS-18IIs in my living room. I would run the four 12 inch subs and double stack them if a pair of big subs are out of your price range such as a pair of Epic Conquests.

I ran a single Velodyne HGS-10 sub with one Velodyne HGS-18II when I only had only one Velodyne HGS-18II. I was thinking similar to you about the two different sized subs, what I found out was that i couldn't even tell if the 10 was on or off with the 18 playing. The HGS-10 is now in my parents system.

Roger

Chris, the problem is primarily cancellation due to phase issues, at least that's what I've run across.

Respectfully...I believe that was what I was talking about...different sub group delay curves will pull your subs out of phase vs. frequency, even if you set them up to be in-phase at one frequency...

Even with identical subs? That's what I was referring to (even though I did a poor job of conveying it[:$])

Sorry - i didn't understand your response. If using identical subs, then the task of phasing each one should be straightforward (one at a time at the listening position), and the check to see if they all are in phase should also be straightforward by having an assistant move the phase controls (+/-) individually on each sub while listening at the sweet spot.

However, if using some sort of Audyssey program that is not designed to handle four subs simultaneously, then I'd say, "turn it off, then do it manually, one sub at a time...". Then check to see if they sum properly in unison.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got them in and set up.

They sound amazing.

Now I am running four RW-12d's.

And I have to say setup was a breeze.

Thanks for the advice to keep them all the same.

I have 2 up front inside the towers under the tv.

The speakers are facing the sitting position.

They are set to 120 hz and on flat.

The back 2 are touching the back of the couch and facing left/right out to the sides.

The back ones are set at 100 hz.

One on depth and one on punch.

It almost kind of creepy when you feel the sound instead of hearing it sometimes.

Now if I can just figure out how to run 2.1 with my receiver I will be in heaven.