38" 4:3 or 36" 16:9?

Kain

Would you prefer a 38" Direct View 4:3 TV that supports progressive scan or a 36" Direct View 16:9 TV that does not support progressive scan?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Alright people, I have chosen to go with the 38" Direct View 4:3 TV that supports progressive scan. It is a Sony KV-ES38M91. The reason I chose 4:3 is because I do a lot of console gaming and most games are not 16:9. Secondly, in my opinion, 16:9 material on a 4:3 TV is not as bad as 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV, get it? Smile.gif

This way, I get best of both worlds. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

i would have gone with a 16:9. your better prepared for the future, especially since SONY and MITS and Hitachi amoung other TV companies have stopped analog TV production, for digital, and leaning more and more to 16:9

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

quote:

Originally posted by KAiN64:

Alright people, I have chosen to go with the 38" Direct View 4:3 TV that supports progressive scan. It is a Sony KV-ES38M91. The reason I chose 4:3 is because I do a lot of console gaming and most games are not 16:9. Secondly, in my opinion, 16:9 material on a 4:3 TV is not as bad as 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV, get it?
Smile.gif

right on!!

This way, I get best of both worlds.
Smile.gif

good choice!! With 4:3 you have it all (16:9 and 2.35:1) Just some minor horizontal bands.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

FOUR BY THREE ALL THE WAY!!!

note: if ALOT of your back to back programming is widescreen, be sure to run some 4:3 stuff to keep the crt(s) from burning in.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Hey, the question is do you want to build a system for yesterday or tomorrow. 4:3 is yesterday... 16:9 is tomorrow... whether for movies or games.

As for me, I would rather do 16:9 and live with a temporary problem... than opt for 4:3 and compromise the future for games and movies that will fade into obscurity. More is lost from viewing 16:9 based material on a 4:3 screen than the reverse. Progressive scan seems to be the backbone of HD TV... so including it in your mix (particularly without the chroma bug) seems to be the thing to do.

I took the plunge for progressive scan and 16:9 in 2000 and have never looked back. The future becomes yesterday fast enough in the audio business... so building a system on yesterday seems suspect. -HornED

Pic5.jpg

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-08-2002 at 06:47 PM

Ahem..... have we forgotten in the next 7 years that all TV broadcasts (both satellite and local channels) will be in HD and in 16:9?

Its not just movies and games we are looking at here guys, in 5 years all tv will be 16:9. Don't regret your purchase :D

BTW, I just bought a Mitsubishi 46809

its a 46 inch 16:9 tabletop HDTV.

LOVE IT.

I'd disown a member of my own family before my baby got taken away from me.

This message has been edited by Cory on 05-08-2002 at 09:00 PM

the actual date is 2006. That is mearly 4 years!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

More is lost from viewing 16:9 based material on a 4:3 screen than the reverse.

Nothing is lost when viewing 16:9 material on a 4:3 TV. The picture is just "smaller" in the hight!!

Smaller, ahm. My 46" RPTV gives a larger 16:9 then some 16:9 RPTV's. The picture has still the same ratio!!

The other way: What tricks does a 16:9 tv to get a 4:3 picture to 16:9 !! It is just awful.

Even some DVD's are in 2.35:1. How is that displayed on a 16:9 TV!!

We will see over 4 years what the standard is!!

Will it be 16:9 or something new???

------------------

Just a couple of quick points. KAiN64 lives overseas and therefore will not be receiving any HDTV programming. Remember that it is only the USA that is implementing HDTV broadcasts not the rest of the world so a 16:9 set is not necessarly as important to him. I think that for his situation that choosing the set that allows for a progressive scan input was a good choice.

quote:

Originally posted by USparc:

Nothing is lost when viewing 16:9 material on a 4:3 TV. The picture is just "smaller" in the hight!!

Smaller, ahm. My 46" RPTV gives a larger 16:9 then some 16:9 RPTV's. The picture has still the same ratio!!

The other way: What tricks does a 16:9 tv to get a 4:3 picture to 16:9 !! It is just awful.

Actually unless your 4:3 TV can perform an anamorphic (sp?) squeeze on the 16:9 picture you are losing about half the picture resolution displaying a 16:9 image on a 4:3 set. In my opinion some of the stretch modes do suck but others are good. I don't mind it so much on my TV. Addtionally you always have the option of viewing 4:3 material with black/grey bars on the SIDES of the picture. This method allows you to view both 16:9 and 4:3 material at full resolution.

quote:

Even some DVD's are in 2.35:1. How is that displayed on a 16:9 TV!!

The image of a 2.35:1 movie is wider than the 1.78:1 of a 16:9 set. Therefore when a 2.35:1 is displayed on a 16:9 set you will have small black bars on the top and bottom of the image

quote:

We will see over 4 years what the standard is!!

Will it be 16:9 or something new???

For the USA I am sure that 16:9 will be the format for the next 10 to 20 years at least. The government doesn't move much faster than that Smile.gif

Laters, cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

eq_shadimar,

Yep, my 4:3 RPTV has a 16:9 setting.

So when setting the DVD on 16:9 picture output and also the RPTV the picture is compressed. So all information is back in the 16:9 format. Some will complain if you do that because a test rgb line will apear above the picture. After a few minutes it is gone.

------------------

consider the ways a 4:3 picture can be displayed on a 16:9 tv vs. how 16:9 is displayed on a 4:3 tv. on my 4:3 hd-ready sony 16:9 is displayed in full resolution w/out picture geometry distortion because of the 16:9 enhanced mode.

also, with the hd 16:9 programming and widescreen dvd's i have(i always buy the widescreen version when available)i get ALOT of widescreen pictures on my tv and proj.screen, but STILL chose 4:3 as the best display format because:

you get the full resolution/picture size/shape of 16:9 material,just black bands at top and bottom of screen.

ditto for 4:3 material

you don't get the picture geometry distortion/cut-off picture, or obnoxious SIDE BARS when you display 4:3 material

so, i feel like until 80% or MORE of what i watch is 16:9, 4:3 IS THE BETTER CHOICE.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I agree with avman. The whole arguement that HD 16:9 programming will be standard by 2006 is a pipe dream. I can see myself buying a 16:9 set in the future, after I see it utilized with more than just DVD's. Also, if I bought one now, who's to say that when HD is standardized (I'm guessing at least another 8 years)there won't be something drastically better out that I'll want to get then. I'm not saying that 16:9's aren't nice, I'm just saying the way I look at it right now, a 4:3 is a better choice for me.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

quote:

I agree with avman. The whole arguement that HD 16:9 programming will be standard by 2006 is a pipe dream. I can see myself buying a 16:9 set in the future, after I see it utilized with more than just DVD's. Also, if I bought one now, who's to say that when HD is standardized (I'm guessing at least another 8 years)there won't be something drastically better out that I'll want to get then. I'm not saying that 16:9's aren't nice, I'm just saying the way I look at it right now, a 4:3 is a better choice for me.

Ok this is off topic but I have to disagree with the above response in regards to the amount of HD content available. Currently I watch mainly DVD (being only 480P it is only SD digital) or HD broadcasts. With HBO HD, SHO HD, HDNET, Discovery HD on sat. plus ABC (shows plus all their movies in widescreen with 5.1 DD sound), CBS, PBS, FOX (SD only but still widescreen shows..anyone see the SD boradcast of the Star Wars movies in widescreen AWESOME!!), and NBC(some content now Tonight Show and can you say Triple Crown in glorious HD? with the rest of the line up in the fall) broadcasting HD there is plenty of HD content available right now. Now I understand that in some ares OTA HD boradcasts are sparse but here in the DFW area all the stations are broadcasting at least in SD digital with the majority broadcasting in HD or at least upconverted SD.

Addtionally all the major cable companies just announced that they will comply with the FCC "request" and start carrying HD content "before 2003". HDNET just announced 3 addtional HD channels along with providing the orginal HDNET signal to any station that wants for re-broadcast it for FREE (yea Mark Cuban!!)

Ok so what is the point to all this? Between the Government pressure for more content, the sat companies, the cable companies, and the OTA broadcasters I predict that by the end of 2003 95% of mainstream programing will be broadcast in HD (not Speedchannel, Food channel etc..). HD is here now all you have to do is get hooked up.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Wow, nice posts in here. Smile.gif

BTW, please remember that the 16:9 TV I was refering to does not support progressive scan. This is also a main factor why I didn't go for it.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Here is the 38" Direct View 4:3 TV that supports progressive scan:

Sony KV-ES38M91

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

This message has been edited by KAiN64 on 05-10-2002 at 06:50 AM

Here is the 36" Direct View 16:9 TV that does not support progressive scan:

http://www2.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/ce/index.jhtml?country=GB&language=en

On that site, click on 36PW9525.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

This message has been edited by KAiN64 on 05-10-2002 at 07:00 AM

actually, prime time CBS is high definition, we watch it everynight. "CDB HDTV, It's All Here", "CBS News In DTV, It's All Here", "KHOU CBS, Leading the DTV Revolution in the Spirit of Texas"

Here was have HDNet, HBO, SHO, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS in HDTV, and I guess also the Discovery Channel, I just did not know haha.

After having HDTV, I would never go back. Oh, and they Gov't just moved the deadline for a requirement to have at least DTV on like a certian % of a networks channels, like Disney has the Disney Channel, ABC, etc; ESPN has a ton of stations; NBC, MSNBC etc etc. So at least DTV will be here, in the USA, soon as a standard.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support