New to the forum - looking to upgrade receiver....

Jagerman18

Hello everyone - great community with a ton of information!! Wanted to get some opinions about possible receiver matches. It's time to upgrade my older model Onkyo to something with HDMI and Dual Zone (for patio speakers). I'd like to stay below $500. Here is the setup I'm running:

(2) Klipsch Synergy F2 towers

(2) Klipsch Synergy B2 (Front Surrounds)

(1) Klipsch Synergy C2 center

(1) Klipsch Synergy SUB-12

(2) Klipsch Synergy KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Rear Surrounds)

The Onkyo has been a great receiver, and I've considered simply upgrading to a newer model, but have never heard Klipsch speakers on another amp - looking for opinions.

IMO it's hard to go too far wrong with an Onkyo TX-NR7XX in that price bracket. You can find them reasonably inexpensive refurbished, and if you're inclined, get an extended warranty from accessories 4 less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR708/Onkyo-TX-NR708-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

They also sell Marantz and Denon products which would work just fine as well.

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far. I've been more than happy with my current Onkyo (HT-R540), but just recently got a decent deal on the pair of F2s, so I figure it's a good time to upgrade the receiver as well. I am impressed with the HT performance of the Onkyo, but when listening to music, it seems to lack the sound depth that it achieves in HT mode.... Is this something that the HDMI pass-through will help correct (99% of my music is played through my PS3 that is being fed music that resides on my PC through my network). Fairly new to this HT game, and any help is much appreciated...

I am impressed with the HT performance of the Onkyo, but when listening to music, it seems to lack the sound depth that it achieves in HT mode....

Out of curiosity, do you have a different source you can try? Can be a cheapo CD/DVD player, whatever. Only reason I ask is that I've seen some negative commentary floating around about using the PS3 (and the XBox) as a music source. Also, how is the PS3 currently connected? What kind of music files are you using as a source?

The ps3 could be in question, I never thought mine sounded to great but...The Onkyo would also not be the first choice if music is important.For music I would listen to Harman Kardon and see if you like it.I mention HK cause they are the cheapest avr that does music justice,imo.

Current setup is I have the PS3 and Direct TV running into my 50" Pioneer Plasma, than I have the audio from the TV fed into the Onkyo via Optical Cable (This way anything that is played through the TV is amplified). The PS3 is running Media Server, and connected into my home network PC, and it pulls MP3 files I have stored in my music library. I may be doing this all wrong here LOL...another reason I wanted to get a new receiver (the current Onkyo lacks HDMIs).

MP3 files not known to be particularly high quality music sources, especially as the bit rate goes down. Lossless, for example FLAC, may yield you some improvement in audio quality.

However, I would again reiterate trying a regular CD in a regular old DVD or CD player connected by optical to your Onkyo just for comparison sake.

And FWIW, I do not find my Onkyo 707 lacking musically compared to the HK's I own and have owned.

@Fish - I've seen that a lot on these forums, that Onkyo just does not perform on a music level. But I've also heard that the Onkyo ruins the Harmon Kardon in HT performance. I would say my 80% of my use would be for HT, and the other 20% for music.

I personally like the hk just as good for ht but will conceed the Onkyo does a good job.The Onkyo is the bang for the buck leader, I did not invent the idea that hk does music really well, I just agree.You do not get the same ease of operation with hk as Onkyo, if you love music you can't have everything and cheap to boot.For 80% ht the Onkyo is the best deal.

@StephenM - I hear ya man, I will try hooking up my old CD Changer and compare the same song in MP3 format vs. original CD. All of my MP3s are ripped directly from CDs (320 bit rate) - I just find it much easier to access and play my entire musical library (about 25,000 songs) through the PS3 Network. I need to do a little more research on this FLAC format you speak of - sounds interesting.

@Fish - well said. If they made a receiver that was perfect all around, and was in the $500 range - many audio companies would be out of business LOL. Even than, what is "perfect" for one person - another person could consider horrible - it's all about personal preference. This is an awesome forum though, so many people willing to help out.... Thank you again for your help - much appreciated.

If they made a receiver that was perfect all around, and was in the $500 range - many audio companies would be out of business LOL.

"Perfect", at least technically speaking, is a function of the situation in this case for the simple fact that some speakers are more difficult to drive than others and the fact that people's volume and quality desires vary considerably. Suffice it to say though, even some picky folks on this board have found "perfect for them" receivers for $500 or less (myself included).

Of course:

Even than, what is "perfect" for one person - another person could consider horrible - it's all about personal preference.

Some people won't be happy until they have 90 pound monoblock amplifiers. Some feel that nothing but SET amplifiers do justice to music. Others are perfectly happy with cheapo Panasonic digital switching receivers. In the end, people like what they like.

• Moderators

Only reason I ask is that I've seen some negative commentary floating around about using the PS3 (and the XBox) as a music source.

FWIW, a friend of mine and I recently did some A/B comparison between my PS3 via HDMI and the Integra Research RDA-1 DVD player via Digital Coax. To both our ears, the PS3 sounded more detailed than the Integra. The Integra retailed for $4000. I have not tried the Integra with Analog so that it uses it's own DAC's instead of the UMC-1.