Cornwall I - Determining an Oil or Lacquer Finish?

acasanis

Hi Everyone,

I've spent the evening searching, however I've come up dry... I'm very new to the Klipsch/Cornwall world and am trying to sort out my new (to me) 1976 Cornwalls. The lable on the rear of the speakers is missing all information except "Tested".

Is there a way to tell whether the veneer (cherry?) is finished in oil or lacquer? When you look close, you can almost make out pores in the wood. The finish is somewhat "tacky" to the touch if you gently run a finger over them. They very easily leave fingerprints which do not wipe (easily) away with a dry microfiber cloth. A damp cloth is required.

I have included a picture of the label - I am thinking they may have been re-finished by the staining on the label? I cannot see them coming from the factory looking like this. They are 35 years old mind you - so the staining could be anything...

I am trying to get some info front the previous owner but thought I would post here as well...

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers!

It could be, from your description, to either be oiled, or lacquered; but the lacquer has been softened by a previous owner applying oil to wipe them down.

Either way, at this point, you may wish to consider wiping them down with lacquer thinner until they appear "clean". When they dry, the cherry will appear to be lighter. Two things happen; first - if they were oiled - you will remove the old nasty oil.... Second, if they were in fact lacquered, you will remove the old nasty and now gummy lacquer. In either case once they are cleaned, they can be properly oiled.

To make sure that they are cleaned, when using the lacquer thinner, keep wiping them down with a clean cloth damp with thinner (don't pour lacquer thinner on the panels.... it can soak in and lift the veneer glue...) until the cloth is clean after wiping. Note this can take some time and a boatload of cloths. I suggest the white cotton shop towels from Wal-mart.

After the cloth remains clean after wiping, do a final wipe with a dry cloth and allow to dry for at least 24 hours. Then wipe with a mineral spirits dampened cloth.

At this point you can inspects for nicks, scratches, etc and usually a very light sanding with a random orbital sander and 400-600 grit pad will clean up the surface evenly. After that, you will again wipe them down with mineral spirits until no residual dust remains (looks like discolored baking flour). Be careful and do not get agressive with the sander.

Oiling is a personal preference..... What I use is Watco diluted with mineral spirits, allowed to dry in each application, and then wiped with a damp mineral spirits cloth. You want to build up the new oil so that when dry, the surface has an even sheen.

From that point, it's a maintenance issue. Once a year with a wipe of mineral spirits and a fresh coat is all that's required. For the monthly "dusting" and clean-up, I use Old English Lemon oil applied on a cloth and wiped on the speakers.

Hope that is of some assistance.

[H]

Acasanis, something doesn't sound right. Speakers of this vintage shouldn't be tacky to the touch. There are few possibilities why this could be, from to much pledge, to an appliction of an oil based product that didn't soak in, or even being to close to the kitchen. Best to proceed with caution you may wan't to try howards wood cleaning products in a small area at the base towards the back as a first step. Good luck let us know what happens!