Heresy over KG 5.2...

superedge88

As some of you already know from the Garage section I have had to consolidate some of my home theater equipment. I made some required audio gear sales, and the wife/financial officer is appeased. The compromise was that if I sold some of my equipment that afterwords I could do whatever I wanted with the remaining gear and could buy/sell as long as the hobby was self sustaining. Which brings me to where I am currently. I have a set of KG 5.2 speakers in excellent condition which I was going to have for an awesome basement 2.1 theater. Now I have a line on some black Heresy II's that may be had for around $300. I am being sent pictures so as of now I don't know exactly the year they were made, though the owner states that they have a black textured finish? I just wanted to get the consensus on whether the heresys would be a more dynamic speaker than the KG 5.2's. I could buy the heresy's and sell the Klipsch 5.2's and come out virtually a wash. Good idea?

FWIW, I would get the Heresy's and sell the KG's. I have both, and the Heresey's with a sub will kill the KG's. Not to mention, the Heresy's will only go up in value. Grab em quick, H2's and that price are rare these days. Also, you can get the H3 upgrade kit directly from Klipsch.

I will dissagree to a point. If you don't have a sub, keep the KGs. If you do have a quality sub, you might like the HIIs, but they likely won't fit in the same place as your KG. You will maybe need to budget for some stands?

I had my KG 5.5s setup for many years and always liked them. My buddy brought over a pair of HIIs to screw around with a left them for a week. I did not care for them compared to the KG. I did a lot of A/B testing and I would not have traded my KGs for them.

When I found my Quartets, I changed my mind and ended up selling the KG 5.5 in favor of the Quartets. All the good that the HIIs had, and they have excellent bass, too! Not to mention the price is cheaper than HIIs.

I will dissagree to a point. If you don't have a sub, keep the KGs. If you do have a quality sub, you might like the HIIs, but they likely won't fit in the same place as your KG. You will maybe need to budget for some stands?

I had my KG 5.5s setup for many years and always liked them. My buddy brought over a pair of HIIs to screw around with a left them for a week. I did not care for them compared to the KG. I did a lot of A/B testing and I would not have traded my KGs for them.

When I found my Quartets, I changed my mind and ended up selling the KG 5.5 in favor of the Quartets. All the good that the HIIs had, and they have excellent bass, too! Not to mention the price is cheaper than HIIs.

As I stated in my post, "and the Heresey's with a sub will kill the KG's". Another consideration is resale value. The Heresey II's will hold their value if not go up in value. Especially if they are upgraded to HIII's.

I still say get the HII's.

t-man speaks truth. I enjoy the low end for my listening too.

Looks like superedge will have a sub though, so I would go with the Heresy II pair as others have stated.

Not slamming the 5.2s though. I love the KG line. 95% of the time they're less money than a Heresy of any vintage. If a sub is not involved then those KG 5.2s would be great.

Let us know what direction you go, with pics!