Dynaco SCA 35

Duff

Hi, this amp is on sale in my city and i have been thinking about getting an inexpensive tube amp to pair with my Heresy I's for a little while now to kind of get my feet wet when it comes to tube amps. Is this a good deal? seems kind of expensive for the shape it is in. If this is not a good venture, i am open to suggestions/thoughts on what i should do. As long as the build was simple enough i would be willing to try making a kit or something from scratch, however i have no previous electronic experience, i can only solder. Thanks in advance guys.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Dynaco-SCA35-Tube-Amplifier-W0QQAdIdZ328552911

As long as the build was simple enough i would be willing to try making a kit or something from scratch, however i have no previous electronic experience, i can only solder. Thanks in advance guys.

Bottlehead makes some nice, relatively inexpensive tube amp kits. As long as you can solder well you should be able to try one of their simple offerings:

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php

I didn't look either at the link on the SCA35 or the other one mentioned, but a good working SCA35 is an extraordinary and highly under appreciated piece of audio history. I ran one for over 10 years and wish I still had one.

Fine phono and preamp stage and adequate power for Heritage all in one box.

Dave

How handy are you? That price seems high for a fixer-upper.

I have one that I totally rebuilt with new boards and components. It sounds great. At a minimum, those ancient electrolytic can capacitors need to be replaced. If you enjoy working on such things, go for it. If you have neither the ability nor inclination, you'd be better off getting something new or professionally restored, IMO.