Plasma Or Projection

m00n

Which brings up a good point. I am building a dedicated theater room. I will be using my klipsch for that. I really don't care for or want to pay for audio in a television. Therefore, it makes since to spend as much money on the quality of the picture and not the built in audio. cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I still got quite a few years in that 32 inch Sharp I currently have. I don't plan on shopping for another TV for at least the next 4 years or so. By that time, it'll be interesting to see where the technology is. 20 years ago, it was easy - just buy the biggest Zenith you could afford (and they only went up to about 25 inches or so). Now, you got so many choices from so many good brands - Front projection? Rear Projection? Tube? Plasma Display?, so on and so on. BTW, I still got a 20 inch Zenith stereo set I bought when I first moved to Virginia 9 years ago, and it still works perfectly. It was all that I could afford and fit in that apartment I used to live in.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Reciever)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC- (Center)

RC- (Rear)

RS- (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Agreed HornEd, Kain64 is right, but Plasma's are rated for 30,000 hrs, a tube is 10,000 hrs(so they say\rate). The RPTV does also lose brightness in it's 1st year. They generate so much light at first, but like a light bulb, it starts to deminish after a period...hence wear and tear. I went back to tube, from the Toshiba 53HX71 to the 34HF81, awesome set.

I even used a line doubler, DVDO Iscan V2 to improve picture quality, but after what I have seen, front projectors(DLP)will rule the market eventually. Plasma still costs alot(give it a couple of years).

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-18-2002 at 09:48 PM

I think you and I are pretty much in agreement, boomer9911... but, of course, I usually do not keep an RPTV long enough for CRT/guns dimming to become a big factor.

After having some experience with high end "light valves" as a projection source, the future of Texas Instruments' DLP technology is beginning to look like my next screen acquisition. I do think they will get somewhat better over the next year or two... and the Mitsu RPTV is still sharp and bright... so I am not in a rush.

cwm40.gif Just out of curiosity, how many of the people who enjoyed the brilliance of the first 10,000 hours of plasma are likely to enjoy the final 10,000 hours of sub-standard performance. Then again, the creeping slowness of it all tends to prevent people realizing that they should be unhappy! cwm27.gif -HornED

PS: Keep up with the Christmas Spirit!

Hey HornEd,

I must admit watching a Stanley Cup playoff game, even my fav Nascar\PPG Cart\NHRA\F1 racing, doesn't look the same without my big 53", even all my fav's John Force\Tony Stewart\Paul Tracy(RIP #99 Greg "King of the Oval" Moore, #3 Dale "The Terminator" Earhardt)don't look the same, Schumacher definitely sucks.

It is true about what you get, you pay for. The Plus 810SF is 3.6K and 810Z at 3.9K CDN is a nice "small" DLP(3.3 lbs, fan is noisy though). Sorry LCD is prehistoric soon, if not already. The Infocus at 9K is awesome.

Yet the best I have seen is the SIM2 out of Italy....OUCH Smile.gif, but it's a 15K entry to 30K.

To add( sorry server stalllllll), I am actually deliberating right now, as I have the opportunity to purchase the 42" Plasma by Marantz I mentioned previous for under 9K CDN, since the new models are due out in 30-60 days...UGH....heavy thought....

PS. As in the Klipsch Founder, the Spirit is inside all of us. Long live PWK and Klipsch Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-22-2002 at 01:21 AM

Boomer, I don't envy your task of making a big screen choice just know. I have been sort of treading water with my 65" RPHD Mitsubishi because I would like to go back to a projection system.

The projections system I previously enjoyed was based on light valve technology... filled a 9' by 18' screen magnificently but was a big beast that went for nearly $100k... and ate kilowatts like candy. It did, however, tend to spoil me for other technologies.

I agree with your LCD assessment... and the DLP scene is interesting... but somehow, if feel something better is in the not too distant future. Life is short so I don't mind paying a bit more for the instant gratification of emerging technology... it's just that I can't seem to be comfortable with the current choices.

So, Boomer, I especially appreciate your commentary on riding the widescreen whirlwind... and do I identify with your small screen hockey analogy. I'll be looking for more of your posts with all the other lurkers and such. Keep 'em coming. -HornED

IF i had to do a 'one tv/display ONLY' i would strongly consider the sony 60" LCD rptv 16:9 hd-ready GRAND WEGA. if you display 4:3 as 4:3 the sides of the picture line up w/the sides of the base of the tv and yields a 41" picture, and the gradation of picture/side bands/smoke tint screen/grey speakers is a smooth transition, so as not to make the side bars look obtrusive. when the bulb needs replacing, it is user-replaceable(try THAT w/crt's in a rptv!)and at about $7k, it's a better deal than plasma, AND it's only 18" deep.

i chose a sony 36" flat-tube 4:3 hd-ready set, and for a bigger, not-as-sharp(so what-it's 84" !!)picture, i pull down the screen and turn on the projector. when i want hd AND an 84" picture(or whatever size 16:9 is on my 84" screen), i'll get a hd-compatable projector.

avman.

EDIT: hornEd mentioned 'light-valve'technology-from what i've heard, it's supposed to put dlp on the trailer.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 05-22-2002 at 04:16 PM

Well, with the Sony Grand WEGA, watch out cuz the black levels are not that great on the TV. Otherwise, it is great.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier