Time to upgrade my AVR....

vw_calvin

So my work has a sick employee sale going on for receivers. 50% ticket price.....

It's too good to turn up...

I've got a HK AVR354, and well, it's a AVR354..... I think it has overheating issues, I dunno, but I only paid $85 for it.

My options are:

-Denon AVR-3312 $600

-Pioneer SC-1525 (demo model, but hardly used) $700-might be able to talk my boss down to $600

-Pioneer VSX-1126 $500

The SC-1525 is basically a SC-35, but Futureshop exclusive.

Mostly a toss up between the 3312 and the 1525, but the 1126 is a lot newer so I thought it might have some extras.

AirPlay is cool, but I have a airport express, so dont favor the Denon in that sense.

What're your opinions?

The 1/4" on the sides was unavoidable, and I fixed the top part. The HK was wider than most receivers, and it had to fit in my stand.

I decided to go with the Pioneer SC-1525/SC-35..... I talked my boss down to $599

A quiet AC cooling fan plugged into the switched power on the back of the unit and mounted in the back of the rack will work nicely to pull air through the slot the component is in. That will help a great deal. Here is a 29 db fan for under $25: http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/wa/wcat/itemdtl.r?listtype=&pnum=A24B12A15W3000-GLM

I have an SC-35 driving my reference 5.1 system. I love it! I was going to buy an external 3 channel 200 watt amp but after listening to this receiver for a while, I can't talk myself into adding an external amp( and I can usually talk myself into new gear :). You will love the SC-35