Direct radiator mid bass for the Khorn again

garyeanderson

I was scanning craigslist a couple weeks ago and a pair of JBL pro Cabaret 4612 were listed for $400 and I thought about going to look at them after reading CJ's post.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/99477/1004313.aspx#1004313

My desire to pay the bills kept me away from sending an email to the seller. shortly after they dropped off Craigslist and things were forgotten until I looked in the unused department. I had a pair of KG-4s that I bought new and were just sitting so I dragged one out and pulled it appart t disabled the horn. I ran it for a bit no horn and just used it full range for the first test. I disconnected the k55 squawker too and it seemed to cover the gap pretty well (to my bad ears anyway) Then I put a 4mh inductor in series to trim the high end, it is still not enough (may add another in series today if I have time) but its an interesting to hear the difference of the direct radiators with the passive radiator. The KG4 is the same amp as the lascala clone so with the balance I could fade out either and then play with the volume. I need to cut the KG4s range down to cover the 200 to ?(not sure on this part), not sure if I like it or not buts at least I can hear a difference between being in or out for a change.

post-42841-13819666722736_thumb.jpg

Gary,

John Warren used two JBL 2123J's per side for mids on his KHorns. These are 10 inch mid drivers wired in parallel. At one time he had pics here on the forum, but I think he deleted them. They are no longer showing on his web site either. Looked beautiful, and the level matched the 103 db output of his tweeters IIRC.

You could try contacting him, or perhap he will post the info again. Unfortunately, the drivers are no longer made.

Bruce

Hi Bruce

I read John W's post (whats left of it) and that would probably be a better option I'm sure. The truth is its not in the budget but - sometimes good stuff shows up on craigslist. Someone else mention that they were useing a Forte with the horn disconected and that seems like a more realistic option cost wise to me. lots to think about with winter closing in soon.

Hi W.C.

Its just part of my slow learning curve...

The cabinet with the two 10" drivers is divided into two cabinets internally. I believe he left the tweeter on top. The two 10s matched the tweeter in output level. Massive JBL engineering and quality, with a price to match.

Bruce