Just bought my first system... please critique.

rotharmy

Fish,

I have no doubt that my room size is a factor in how the rf7ii's sound. Frankly I just can't use them to their potential. Even when I hooked up my XPA-5 I could not tell a difference based on the volume levels I listen at in my room. Now I did have the rf82 front 3 in my room before I gave them to my friend. They did sound everybit as good. I also had the rc52ii as a center for a bit and that was underwhelming for sure. I also have tried the rc42ii and the full line of sunergy centers. All no comparison to the rc62 and rc64. Ideally I would love to trade my system for an rf82/rc64 or rf82ii/rc62ii and some cash. The one thing I would lose in my room would be the absolute beauty of the RF7ii dark cherry. Very pretty. Also I run without grills so the half grill doesnt make a difference to me.

i would look at something like the marantz 5005 or 6005, probably a 5005 and then you still have preouts and can add an amp later, if you add an amp right away i say try out the umc its being clearanced out

you mention the rf82ii but have rc62 listed instead of rc62ii, i would double check that if your spending this much at once make sure they match

Thanks, I meant to say the RC62ii. Looking into the receiver suggestion right now. ANy other speaker suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Well, if i could add my two cents. Buy speakers that you wont have to upgrade about for a long long long time. I had my first set of Cornwalls II's for almost 20 years before i sold them. My experience was that i switched receivers more often than speakers. as far a room size and all. my room is a bit to small for my gear, but a great system first starts with great speakers. alot of people IMO, dont give enough thought to the speakers.

Buy the best gear you can afford to buy, and are happy with. this in the long run will yeild the best results. I purchased all my gear several years apart, but bought the best stuff i could afford...other times...i just had to wait.

Now, after all that, the RF 82 system seems like a much better system. i say all that and i have not had any experience with them[:$], but alot of klipsch owners have RF82's as fronts.

Guest Anonymous

One more thing, Have you given any thought to buying used Heritage? Forte II's? there is some really awesome used Heritage gear out there at great prices. i guess that depends on your room size.

Guys,

I ended up going with this setup. I ordered it through acoustic sound design.com

Harman Kardon AVR 2650 7.1 AV Receiver (Black )

Klipsch RF-82 II Floorstanding Speaker (black-pair)

Klipsch RS-52II Surround Speaker (pair) (Black )

Klipsch RC-62II Center Speaker (black-each)

Sub- Klipsch RW-12D R (from the newegg sale)

I can't wait . Thanks for the advice!

Fish,

I have no doubt that my room size is a factor in how the rf7ii's sound. Frankly I just can't use them to their potential. Even when I hooked up my XPA-5 I could not tell a difference based on the volume levels I listen at in my room. Now I did have the rf82 front 3 in my room before I gave them to my friend. They did sound everybit as good. I also had the rc52ii as a center for a bit and that was underwhelming for sure. I also have tried the rc42ii and the full line of sunergy centers. All no comparison to the rc62 and rc64. Ideally I would love to trade my system for an rf82/rc64 or rf82ii/rc62ii and some cash. The one thing I would lose in my room would be the absolute beauty of the RF7ii dark cherry. Very pretty. Also I run without grills so the half grill doesnt make a difference to me.

I really think the 7's need space, large room with high ceilings etc..I have heard 7's in difficult rooms and they don't do a very good job, I could see the 82's being almost as good in that type room I guess.I agree with the covers off the 7lll's look great but that's not practical for everyday.

Guys,

I ended up going with this setup. I ordered it through acoustic sound design.com

I think you made some very good choices.That set should sound very nice and look great doing it.

Guys, I ended up going with this setup. I ordered it through acoustic sound design.com

Thats going to be a great setup. You will be very happy.

Guys, I ended up going with this setup. I ordered it through acoustic sound design.com

My set-up is very similar and it is fantastic for movies!

Buy (or trade towards) a used high end AVR off craigslist or from the various forums. You can usually get a unit that is a couple years old, lovingly cared for, and supports all important current formats at a fraction of the cost.I'm a fan of Denon and Marantz paired with Klipsch RF speakers and the interfaces. Others prefer pioneer, HK, Onkyo, and so on.

Plenty of opinions and assholes here.