Need help hooking up my H/T system !

davis419b

I can barely get through the technical terms with 2-channel but I am lost whem it comes to H/T. I unhooked system a few months back and now ready to hook it back up and not sure where everything should be connected as someone else did it the first time. I have a Denon 5803 receiver and Denon 5900 dvd player. I have hooked it up the way I think it should be but I am attaching a pic for confirmation on whether it is right before I turn it on. The plug laying on top of the receiver has no place to go. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Don

post-29696-1381966701101_thumb.jpg

Hi Don,

Where is that cable laying on the receiver coming from? I'm assuming your TV and if that's the case it looks like it might be a DVI connector and I don't see a DVI plug on the back of the DVD or Receiver. If that's coming from the TV please post a pic of the back of it so I can see what you've got. I'm also assuming that you have the component cables coming out of the DVD and into the HT Receiver and then out of the receiver and into the TV and then you wouldn't need a DVI connector. Please just post the pic and we'll get it figured out. I have an older projection TV with a DVI and I have a cord to convert from HDMI to DVI.

Is there any possibility that you could make use of that DVI port on the DVD player? You'd need a DVI to HDMI adapter, then it'd run HDMI (in lieu of component video) directly to the TV, skipping over the AVR. You'd lose the ability to switch the video signal through the AVR (ie. using a single remote), but I believe you'd find the improvement in picture quality worth the effort.

The plug laying on top with no place to go is a DVI cable. There is a DVI output on yout DVD player it probably goes to (top left in photo). This may be connected to the TV at the other end. DVI is a digital video connection.

Didn't even see that on the DVD, but Don, unless there's more equipment in the group, like a cable or sat receiver that needs a video signal processed, there's no reason to have multiple video connections from the DVD to the TV and you still need a pair of audio cables from the DVD to the TV if you want to be able to watch a movie without having the entire system on assuming the TV has internal speakers of its own.

The plug laying on top with no place to go is a DVI cable. There is a DVI output on yout DVD player it probably goes to (top left in photo). This may be connected to the TV at the other end. DVI is a digital video connection.

Didn't even see that on the DVD, but Don, unless there's more equipment in the group, like a cable or sat receiver that needs a video signal processed, there's no reason to have multiple video connections from the DVD to the TV and you still need a pair of audio cables from the DVD to the TV if you want to be able to watch a movie without having the entire system on assuming the TV has internal speakers of its own.

Now I am really confused. Rich -Guy, you are correct, it fits like a glove and it does come from the tv. I thought all this stuff was hooked up to those 2 pieces. I looked and looked before I posted and never saw it either Pete. When you click on the picture it allows you to make it big and it says DVI plain as day !I didnt have any audio cables coming from the tv to the avr before. I always thought the third cable was audio. There is also an optical cable coming from the tv to the avr but I am not sure what that does either. I hope when I plug it back all the programming that was done is still there, if not I am screwed

Hi Don,

Where is that cable laying on the receiver coming from? I'm assuming your TV and if that's the case it looks like it might be a DVI connector and I don't see a DVI plug on the back of the DVD or Receiver. If that's coming from the TV please post a pic of the back of it so I can see what you've got. I'm also assuming that you have the component cables coming out of the DVD and into the HT Receiver and then out of the receiver and into the TV and then you wouldn't need a DVI connector. Please just post the pic and we'll get it figured out. I have an older projection TV with a DVI and I have a cord to convert from HDMI to DVI.

Hey Pete,

Sorry for not responding to you earlier. As you can see from my avatar the tv is hanging on a flat wall mount and I cant get to the back for a pic.

Again Rich-Guy you are right. I had the tv plugged into the DBS/SAT instead of the TV out. I told you I didnt know anything about this stuff. So what do you think, is it time to plug it in and see if it works ?

I think it should be OK to try as long as the component out (3 cables) from the receiver now go to the TV input.

What is your main source for TV, cable box, antenna or? I am guessing this is connected to the TV itself and the optical cable caries sound from the TV to the receiver.

I have cable via coax with no box at the moment. I think you are right about the optical cable for sound. I have not updated my avatar showing the H/T gear in the cabinets that I built for them 3 years ago. This has been a long time from start to finish. After I get it all hooked up and working I will tackle the one obsticle left that has really been holding everything back. I have to remove the TV and cut through 1" of marble , 4" of brick into the 2 X 4 frame wall between the fireplace and the brick and marble wall to install a 2" pvc pipe with a 90 turning into the back of the tv. This way I can run all of the wires in the wall to the back of the cabimet. All that is left after that is to make granite shelves for the 2-channel gear to sit on. Then I will be DONE!

post-29696-13819667045284_thumb.jpg

I had a feeling this would happen. After hooking everything back up I put in a dvd started it playing and evrything worked but the sound. I got out the manuel and tried to trouble shoot the problem but dont really understand all the mumbo jumbo. I have been here before and it is not fun !

Looking at your receiver you have only one optical input as the only audio source. I am not sure if it comes from the DVD or the TV.

If it is the DVD and that is what you are trying to watch and do not hear anything you probably need to make adjustment changes in your systems menu.

Looking at your receiver you have only one optical input as the only audio source. I am not sure if it comes from the DVD or the TV.

If it is the DVD and that is what you are trying to watch and do not hear anything you probably need to make adjustment changes in your systems menu.

I have one optical coming from them TV and also one coming from the DVD. I am not sure the one from the dvd is needed we connected it one time when I lost sound but it ended up being my knee had hit a button on the dvd player and changed something. In reading the trouble shoot for no sound it told me to go in like you say and set the speaker configuration. I went to the coect page on the remote and hit the curser button but count not make it do anything else. This friggin remote is so complicated it baffles me !

Another thing is the manuel says to hook the 3 wired cable up to monitor but I have it hooked up to TV. Does that make sense ? I was getting picture but no sound.

Another thing is the manuel says to hook the 3 wired cable up to monitor but I have it hooked up to TV. Does that make sense ?

Monitor and TV are the same thing.

Yes looking at your picture the sound for DVD comes from the optical cable, the only other cable connected to the DVD player is the component cable which is only video (this is the 3 wired cable, it is a component video cable). The DVI cable if you connected it to the DVD player is also only video, so looking at your photo you use the digital optical cable for sound.

Another thing is the manuel says to hook the 3 wired cable up to monitor but I have it hooked up to TV. Does that make sense ? I was getting picture but no sound

Are you up and running? From the picture I don't see an audio line from the TV/SAT/CABLE box. As pictured, you would have TV video but no audio (if you have your TV/monitor out line hooked up).

Another thing is the manuel says to hook the 3 wired cable up to monitor but I have it hooked up to TV. Does that make sense ?

Monitor and TV are the same thing.

Yes looking at your picture the sound for DVD comes from the optical cable, the only other cable connected to the DVD player is the component cable which is only video (this is the 3 wired cable, it is a component video cable). The DVI cable if you connected it to the DVD player is also only video, so looking at your photo you use the digital optical cable for sound.

If you look at the pic there is also another optical cable coming from the TV. It is hidden behind the 3-wire cable on the right and is connected to the same optical bar as the DVD optical cable. If the system has been down for a while and the remote battery went completely dead will you lose all of the speakers settings ?

Thanks to everyone for the help !

I admitted defeat and called my guru buddy who set it up the first time. Luckily he had some time and came over and got it going in about 15 minutes. I am a happy camper !

Good deal. remember if you get confused, the signal wires just flow like water, you come out of one piece of gear and go into the next. The only part that is confusing is knowing which connections are audio/video or both.