Subwoofer - what to buy to complete my system

MargaretR

Hi -

I have an old Klipsch surround sound speaker system that I am connecting through a Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V671 (new) to a 3D LG LW5600 Flat Screen TV (new). My Klipsch system was purchased in about 1994 and consists of a KV 2 Center speaker, 2 KC 2.5 Front speakers, and 2 KG .5 Rear Bookshelf Speakers. I don't have a subwoofer.

How essential is a subwoofer? What would be a decent one to add to this system? I don't want to spend too much more, and certainly not more than I need to. The Klipsch subwoofers seem very costly.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. A sub is an intregal part of a home theater. It provides the impact during movies. With your setup, I would look for an older sub, 12" would probably do well with your system. What is your budget for a sub? Check your local craigslist for Velodyne. They can be had for $150 - $300.

I think the Kv2 is just fine for a center with that system. Yes, you can find quite a few used subs in the $200 range or maybe even less. The KSW12 comes to mind. I see them all the time - might be able to ****** a like new one up for $150 or less. I prefer the older SW12 or SW12II, but I rarely ever seem them available at a good price. These were the ones available when your KG speakers were purchased new.

As for new, that Newegg deal posted above that expires Wed looks like a fantastic KILLER deal. I'd jump on that quickly if I were you.